Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ngc 4395 in Canes Venatici

wimvb

ngc 4395 is a low surface brightness galaxy in the constellation Canes Venatici, approximately 14 million light-years from Earth. It is a Seyfert I spiral galaxy with an active nucleus which contains a low mass black hole (300 000 x solar mass). The galaxy lacks a central bulge that is common in spiral galaxies. Its diameter is approximately 50 000 light-years.
This image contains a few galaxy clusters, the one at the upper left of ngc 4395 at a distance of approximately 3.6 billion light-years.

Technical details:

SkyWatcher 190MN on AZ-EQ6 with ZWO ASI294MM and Optolong LRGB filters

• L: 224 x 3 minutes
  • RGB: 50/50/66 x 4 minutes
  • Ha: 55 70 x 4 minutes

Total integration time, 26 27 hours, processed in PixInsight

With added Ha (one hour) and better Ha incorporation. I used Vicent Peris' Red Continuum Subtraction method to boost the Ha in the red channel without adding noise.

ngc4395_LHaRGB_colourboosted_moreHa.thumb.jpg.1ab489a6ddf192cc15e260530a42d948.jpg

(original)

ngc4395_LHaRGB_colourboosted.thumb.jpg.13f4ed91a5e8d189dd49dfcb003d1c3c.jpg

Edited by wimvb
new image revision
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Great image, plenty of faint detail there. This is indeed a tricky target, it fills the frame nicely on my small galaxy set up but I attempted it when the moon was up and the subs were not great.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I very good image of what looks like an interesting and difficult target. Having checked in Stellarium I think it would be a good fit on the ODK / 16200 system.

Go for it! It would be interesting to see the comparison.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

Lovely version Wim, this galaxy and NGC 4414 nearby are on my list and tempted to dust of the Intes mn56 mak newt again. 

Great! Access to a dark site helps.

I added 1 hr of Ha and used Vicent Peris' red continuum subtraction to add it to the red channel. This allowed me to push the Ha more without intorducing noise. Image added to the original post.

• Like 1