SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2nd April 2.4% Moon

Paz

I realised yesterday the Moon was coming around again and wanted to try and spot it much earlier than I normally do. I managed to get an opportunity to see it naked eye and in binoculars before dark at 2.4% phase and about 8 degrees above the horizon (according to  Sky Safari). A very pretty sight, like a section of a perfect ring. It's barely visible in the photo (to the left of centre) but it's a nice sunset.

20220402_201331.thumb.jpg.a5deae998ee8f65ecee8243dd671a846.jpg

Here it is at the top/centre of this cropped copy...

20220402_201331-1-1-1.jpg.7db58d48e0e9d1374682032124ee1a57.jpg

Edited by Paz
  • Like 10

9 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

I saw it as well, it seemed brighter to me than i expected. I dont know if that was the clouds making it feel darker when i was looking.

I didn't see it at first by naked eye as I was looking right on the horizon (I forgot about using my hand/fingers thing for estimating angles) but in bins I had 7 degrees fov and I could therefore get my bearings on how high 8 degrees up was and swept that to find it. As soon as I found it it was obvious naked eye. I wonder what might have been possible the day before.