NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging overnight

I've just setup on M81 and M82 and the weather is due to be good all night. Is it safe to leave my gear out overnight? Here's my setup:

Extension cord plugged into outdoor socket. Power adapter to ASIAir Plus, which powers a ASI533MC Pro camera, ASI1200MM Mini Guidescope and a Star Adventurer. It's all in a secure back garden under a CCTV camera so should be safe from theft. My concern is what might happen when the RA axis rotates if it reaches the end of it's travel (There is a point where the dovetail will make contact with the body of the SA). I don't think this will happen on this target as it's pretty close to Polaris. I've set the ASIAir Plus to turn off at the end of the session, which should be at about 5am.

Before starting make sure there is enough slack in the cables to rotate the RA axis as much as it will need to if left overnight (or even for a full rotation).  Release the clutch and rotate.  See what the cables do and adjust them as necessary.

I usually leave my kit out for days on end - with a cover over using the day for snow/hail/rain protection.

here's one mount been outside for 2 years now - all seems fine.

Make sure the external power socket is is protected by a circuit breaker, and in an IP67 casing.

Otherwise per other replies, make sure that your cables have the freedom for a full 360 degree rotation.

My apologies for not acknowledging your replied, I've only just seen them. I'm using an ASIAir so I can set the system to power off after the imaging system and, as my SA is powered by the ASIAir, this will turn off as well. How do I know what time the SA will reach the end of it's rotation though? I have a Skywatcher 72ED on it so it gets to a point where the scope hits the mount. The cables aren't too much of a problem.

Look up "hour angle" -- for a given RA, that will tell you when the mount will reach a particular position. Usually calculated for the meridian flips, but a horizontal counterweight bar  is  a  horizontal counterweight bar.