Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMOD issues

DocE

Trying to setup EQMOD on EQR-6 Pro.  Able to run EQMOD but got the connection error and changed baud rate from default 9600.  Now I get the control tool screen flashing on and off.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled EQMOD's latest version, rebooted several times.  My Windows 10 is up to date.  Uninstall ran but says couldn't uninstall some files and that they can be removed manually.  Can't find any EQMOD files to uninstall/delete.  Would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

4 minutes ago, DocE said:

Trying to setup EQMOD on EQR-6 Pro.  Able to run EQMOD but got the connection error and changed baud rate from default 9600.  Now I get the control tool screen flashing on and off.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled EQMOD's latest version, rebooted several times.  My Windows 10 is up to date.  Uninstall ran but says couldn't uninstall some files and that they can be removed manually.  Can't find any EQMOD files to uninstall/delete.  Would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

How are you connecting the mount to your PC, if it’s with Direct USB cable then the baud should be 112500 if my EQMOD cable to handset port, then it should be 9600

Edited by Stuart1971

Just to clarify the direct  hard wired connection options.

• If your mount is new and has a USB type B socket you can use a standard A - B USB cable between the mount and the computer.  The port on the computer needs to be set to 115200 baud, and under windows will need the Prolific VCP driver to be downloaded and installed.
  • On older mounts you use an EQDIR cable.  This has a USB to TTL Serial adapter built in, with one end being a standard A type USB plug, with the other end terminated in the same connector used by the handset.  This would be an RJ or 9 pin D type plug depending on the mount. (EQ6 uses D type).  This connection requires the baud rate to be set to 9600
  • If the handset is a late version with an B type USB socket, then you can use a standard A to B USB cable between the computer and the handset.  The handset is then connected to the mount as normal.  The handset may need to be placed in PC-DIRECT mode to act as pass-through.
  • If the handset lacks a USB port then you can use a serial cable which is often supplied with the handset.  This connects to the smaller RJ port on the handset and has a 9 pin D type connector on the other end.  This can be connected to an old PC which has a standard serial (COM) port.  If the computer lacks the old style COM port then you will need a normal USB to SERIAL adapter.  

The problem comes when people use a standard USB to SERIAL adapter thinking is the same as an EQDIR adapter and end up blowing the micro controllers on the motor board in the mount.  After doing so, when the handset is plugged back in the handset typically displays the message "No response " with either RA, DEC  or BOTH  axis.  If this occurs then the only option is to either replace the motor board with a new one, typically costing around £150, or if the motor board uses a pair of 16F886 PIC microcontrollers, have them replaced with two new ones that have been programmed with the firmware for the mount in question.

To delete the EQMOD files - Uninstall the  driver via Programs and Features  (EQASCOM) and then delete the folder or files found in C:\Users\[ user name]\AppData\Roaming\EQMOD  - or just delete  the INI and TXT files in that folder

Hope that helps.  If you have any further issues please clarify which of the four connection methods above you used.

40 minutes ago, DocE said:

USB C to RJ45 Cisco Console serial cable

Just goggled that and found this

High quality :FTDI FT232R chip + RS232 Level Shifter. Supports hardware flow control used to implement the CISCO break sequence.

That's the worrying part.  If its a true RS232 level adapter that means the TX/RX lines could be at true RS232 levels of +/- 12v  (ie a 24v differential) which may have blown the motor board.  Looking at the specs for  Cisco console it does indeed seem to be a standard true RS232 spec and not a TTL serial port.

Looking into this further it would seem the cable uses a ZT230E level shifter in addition to the 232TR FTDI chip, so the 5v TTL USB serial levels get boosted by the ZT230 to +/- 12v on the TX and RX serial lines - I'll be amazed if you haven't fried your board

ZT230 data sheet

Edited by malc-c
added link

8 minutes ago, DocE said:

Unfortunately there is no roaming option under app data

Do you have the option to show hidden folders enabled ?

Should have four folders inside AppData  - 

Local, LocalLow, Roaming and System

appdata.thumb.png.76e9db1de334a99c32cd72c7da93c68b.png

Edited by malc-c

Can you plug your handset into the mount and confirm that the handset can talk to the mount and that you don't get any "No response" message.... Just want to confirm that the mount is still functional.  Otherwise you're wasting your time thinking its an EQMOD issue when in reality it's down to using the wrong cable

When the EQMOD control panel starts flashing in what looks like a boot loop, it's usually when you try to start EQMOD directly. Its not how it works. You need to connect to the telescope from another software like NINA or Stellarium etc. The other software calls up EQMOD and it kind of runs in the background. As soon as you disconnect the mount from the 3rd party software, EQMOD shuts down. You can't control the mount independently from EQMOD alone.

9 hours ago, DocE said:

Gotcha.  It is the cable that runs from the handset port on the EQ6 to the USB on the PC.

Ok, well that needs to be set at 9600, also I don’t think the Cisco console cables have the correct wiring inside…they are wired differently…👍🏼

Mount is working fine.  Resetting PC worked.  Using supplied mount to PC direct cable (USB A To USB C).  Hand controller working fine.  EQMOD working, PHD2, Stellarium, Astrophotography Tool,  AstroTortilla  all up and connected.

Mother board still mothering.

Noe as soon as toof installed in barn roof observatory will be up and running.  Remote control via RDC for Mac, video monitor working