NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ-GTI In Equatorial Polar Alignment on the go?

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

I'm doing some research before I get out and start doing some astrophotography.  I've been reading up on FOV and searched astrobin and forums and I think I'm pretty dialed in for what to expect and I'm going to go down the DSLR/lens route (35mm/200mm vintage and a more modern 14mm).

In terms of mounts I think a star tracker would be the best option due to the portability of the system (if I decide to use heavier equipment, then I'll need to get a proper mount, but I'll still be able to use the tracker as a portable setup).

I've been looking at the Sky Watcher AZ-GTi in equatorial mode and it looks very flexible due to the goto and portability.  My only concern is that it doesn't have a polar alignment scope.  I see that polar aignment is possible, however it seems to be largely a guidescope based solution or require a laptop.

Is it possible to do polar align a AZGTI without a guidescope, using the DSLR?  Ideally (to keep it portable) through a phone app or similar.  I've seen the ASAIR plus, but that looks very expensive.  I've also seen the Astropi which looks like it might work through the DSLR.  If anyone has experience with these options, or even just getting a good polar alignment in the field with it without a lot of equipment I'd be grateful.

Many thanks,

Graham

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

I'm doing some research before I get out and start doing some astrophotography.  I've been reading up on FOV and searched astrobin and forums and I think I'm pretty dialed in for what to expect and I'm going to go down the DSLR/lens route (35mm/200mm vintage and a more modern 14mm).

In terms of mounts I think a star tracker would be the best option due to the portability of the system (if I decide to use heavier equipment, then I'll need to get a proper mount, but I'll still be able to use the tracker as a portable setup).

I've been looking at the Sky Watcher AZ-GTi in equatorial mode and it looks very flexible due to the goto and portability.  My only concern is that it doesn't have a polar alignment scope.  I see that polar aignment is possible, however it seems to be largely a guidescope based solution or require a laptop.

Is it possible to do polar align a AZGTI without a guidescope, using the DSLR?  Ideally (to keep it portable) through a phone app or similar.  I've seen the ASAIR plus, but that looks very expensive.  I've also seen the Astropi which looks like it might work through the DSLR.  If anyone has experience with these options, or even just getting a good polar alignment in the field with it without a lot of equipment I'd be grateful.

Many thanks,

Graham

It might be worth checking out this thread if you haven't seen it already - some people have 3D printed polarscope adaptors for the mount. I use Sharpcap for polar alignment (so using a laptop).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As @Shimrodsay above check out the az gti mount owners thread. You maybe able to pick up a cheapish asiair pro there's a few for sale on abs atm then you can do it all from an app and power tank for power. You can also get a polar scope adapter from Ali baba that could work with polar scope, check out the az gti thread.

I was going to try the polar scope adapter but got an asiair pro soon after so never tried it. But to much of a ballache trying to calibrate the polar scope. So I went more expensive easy option 😂

IMG_20210609_192635.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you learn drift alignment (darv method) you won't need anything else.

To start you can use a manual compass with an East West scale on it to get the tripod/mount to point roughly to true north, and a digital inclinometer to get the altitude pretty accurate to your location, then finish using drift alignment.

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Elp said:

If you learn drift alignment (darv method) you won't need anything else.

To start you can use a manual compass with an East West scale on it to get the tripod/mount to point roughly to true north, and a digital inclinometer to get the altitude pretty accurate to your location, then finish using drift alignment.

Good Lord.  I had a look at Drift alignment a couple weeks ago and couldn't really understand.  I Must have been tired.  I did a google and it looks pretty straightforward.

It also has the benefit of being a 'learning the ropes' challenge rather than a 'how do I make this camera speak to this computer and control it from my phone' challenge, which seems much more appealing.

I'm trying to be practical with dipping my toe in and planning this out.  I don't want to go down a route where I getting equipment that I'll need to replace because there is a better fit for my anticipated goals.  Drift alignment seems perfect because even if I do get a guide scope, polar scope and a top of the line mount, drift alignment will still remain useful.  Perfect.

• Like 1