Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SynScan EQ5 problems

irandar

Hello folks,

I am new to this hobby and am on the steep part of the learning curve. I have a Eq5 pro Synscan mount with handcontroller and also the wifi dongle using the Synscan app. My version is 4.39.19. I and one other friend have found that with the our handsets object-finding (without star alignment) is about 20 deg Az off to the east. With the wifi the object finding is perfect, as checked with Stellarium. Has anyone found this with Synscan. The mount will always go to where it is told by the handset or wifi. It seems as if the handset is making wrong calculations for az-alt.

Also with both the handset and wifi app I am not able to set a terrestrial object that the mount will go to correctly.

Thanks for any feedback.

Irving

18 hours ago, irandar said:

Hello folks,

I am new to this hobby and am on the steep part of the learning curve. I have a Eq5 pro Synscan mount with handcontroller and also the wifi dongle using the Synscan app. My version is 4.39.19. I and one other friend have found that with the our handsets object-finding (without star alignment) is about 20 deg Az off to the east. With the wifi the object finding is perfect, as checked with Stellarium. Has anyone found this with Synscan. The mount will always go to where it is told by the handset or wifi. It seems as if the handset is making wrong calculations for az-alt.

Also with both the handset and wifi app I am not able to set a terrestrial object that the mount will go to correctly.

Thanks for any feedback.

Irving

You might be better off creating a new thread for this, it sounds like a different problem.

I have seen people talking about problems like these when using the handset, and it turns out to be because they've entered the location or other data in the wrong format. The app, though, has the ability to use info from the phone to set these automatically in the mount, if the app has been given the necessary permissions. That could explain the different behaviour you're seeing.

I'm sure there are threads about this already, but I don't have any links to hand.

Edited by Zermelo
Typo

Hi folks,

Want to report that my error of not setting E longitude was the problem regarding the star objects with Synscan.  A problem remains for me how to set terrestrial objects on my Eq5 mount. Maybe not possible but the handset manual describes it. The wifi also indicates it. Actually not really so important. 

Have fun with this great hobby,

Irving

• Like 1