Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The potential planetary nebula FR 2-23 in Perseus

gorann

As far as I know this is the second image of this object. It is very faint but quite large (about the angular size of the moon) and dominated by Ha emissin but the NBZ filter appears to have picked up some Oiii signal. According to the first Astrobin post of this object by Jon Talbot (https://www.astrobin.com/ij5bkv/ it is now considered to be a likely planetary nebula in the HASH PN database. The open star cluster to the right of the possible PN is NGC 1245.

Captured on the night 9-10 Feb 2022 with my dual-RASA8 rig with ASI2600MC and IDAS NBZ filter (gain 100, offset 30, -15°C) on a Mesu 200. 209 x 5 min, so a bit over 17 hours. Processed in PS and PI.

Cheers, Göran

20220209-10 FR2-23 RASA1+2 PS24smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 14

Thanks a lot Sunshine! My Borte 2-3 sky and 17 hours with the RASAs did help, although the moon was up. I love that with this set-up since I can go searching for these difficult and rarely imaged oddities.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1