Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

binocular comfort

thought you guys might like to see how I use my binoculars. I started off in this hobby with a pair of 15x70 binoculars on a camera tripod and found it so frustrating. Anything over 45deg elevation was impossible to observe with any comfort.

I made my own mirror mount and use it with a cheap office chair. Set up is <1 minute and I don't even have to stand up to move around the sky. The eyepieces are in the perfect place - a bit like using a microscope but more interesting!

Unfortunately the binos met their maker when I dropped them in the mud at Kielder. One eyepiece snapped off and the body filled with gritty muddy puddle water, ruined. I still have them for (one day) making into a bino scope ...

I "upgraded" to a pair of 20x80 knous binos on special offer at the Bath & West. They are great value, not optically perfect but very good. Unfortunately their higher magnification means that the mirror mount can only be used above 20deg elevation - anything towards the horizon shows fuzzy stars that no amount of focussing can tighten. Higher elevations are fine.

So as you can see, for grab and go scanning of the milky way, summer constellations or winter deep sky I can sit in comfort and wander freely across the sky.

The only downside and one that is easily resolved with practice is sharhopping and knowing where you are pointing. Like anything in this hobby, practice and familiarity makes the process easier so now I have no problem in finding targets or working out where I am looking.

I have now upgraded to a pair of 15x50 Canon Image Stabilised for truly grab and go - no need for a tripod. That being said, your arms still ache from holding the binos to your eyes and it is near impossible to make a detailed sketch as you cannot remain on target when looking at notes/charts. However, for work trips away or weekends from home they are fantastic - grab and go in 5 seconds. The optics are superb - well worth the money anway and the image stabilisation is simply awesome. A fantastic piece of engineering.

I still use my telescope (a 4" refractor) and am slowly building an 8.5" newt but binocular observing is still a wonderful way to observe - and one that is often neglected in the race for comparing high end equipment, imaging and processing and the latest gadgets.

Clear skies,

Mark

post-15958-133877359498_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mark for your report.

It was a nice read and very interesting. I did have a mirror mount at one time,it didn't work out for me though.

I have since moved onto binoscopes. Lot easier on the old neck:)

I still use my other bino's hand held until the arms start aching.

The Canon IS have had quite a few good reviews. I've always been tempted,but never taken the plunge.

Hope to see some observing reports from you. Nothing like two eyed viewing :)

Clear Skies.

Glen.

I got it from here - a few years ago now. http://www.fsmirrors.com/ As to making it, its simply geometry and carpentry. The mirror is bonded with silicone sealant and has lasted for nearly four years - I've also cleaned the mirror a few times. The best use was a family holiday in Algarve, - scanning Sagittarius and Scorpius was amazing.

By the way, Astro engineering make one - try here and then look under binocular mountings http://www.astro-engineering.com/

Mark

Archived