SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First impressions Astro-Tech Voyager mount

Petervde

Hello,

I recently bought an altazimuth Astro-Tech Voyager mount from a Dutch dealer, Robtics. For the mount, look at: http://www.robtics.nl/product_info.php?products_id=451&osCsid=ff6abd9c3f2ce2183b20efc38018f1f2

Since I live in Belgium, I was able to pick it up myself. The same night it was clear (new mount and still a cloudless night? :)) and I tested the mount with my William Optics Megrez 80mm f/6. I immediately noticed there was something wrong with the azimuth slow-motion movement. It slipped under the weight of my small but sturdy-built apo (the Megrez version is built like a Russian tank. And no, I don't own a Russian tank :)).

I returned the mount and since Robtics wasn't able to solve the problem on the spot, I received a new mount right away. Thank you Robtics :mad:

The AT Voyager is a pleasure to use. The tripod is very stable. Even at its highest point, at a magnification of 80x a firm tap against the mount dampens out in about 1.5 seconds. Not bad.

The Voyager has the same feel as a Dobsonian mount. You can move around the telescope freely in search of an object. Once you have found the object, you let the telescope loose and it will stay in that position without having to tighten the axis of the mount. A joy to use !

As a bonus, the are slow-motion controls so that you are able to keep the object in the centre of the eyepiece during the observation. The height control however is subject to the slightest imbalance of the telescope. The up/down movement slips when the telescope is not properly balanced.

According to the manufacturer the Voyager is able to carry 8.5kg; Robtics mentioned that it can carry a Celestron 9.25 with ease. This will probably be over-selling but I haven't tried it yet (anyone a C9.25 for me to borrow? ;)).

Since the tripod reaches 104cm at its highest point, long tubes seems out-of-order unless you like observing lying on the ground. I would guess that fast apo's, small Schmidt-Cassegrains and Maksutovs are the best choice for the AT Voyager.

I would also like to mention that one can position the arm which holds the scope either straight up (for terrestrial viewing) or under a 45° angle (for astronomical viewing) which allows a scope to reach zenit.

For me this is the ideal grab-and-go mount and I'm sure it will provide me with many wonderful moments for years to come !

Peter

Antwerp, Belgium

Hi Andy,

It's a one-piece mount. The arm which holds the scope is delivered separately and has to be attached to the azimuth axis (i.e. tripod + azimuth is one piece) with two large Allen screws. Not something that can easily be removed every time.

The total weight is about 6 to 7 kg, so one can carry the AT Voyager easily with one hand.

Cheers,

Peter

• 4 years later...

Hello,

Do you think the AT voyager will be suitable for the skywatcher evostar 120 ed.

I am looking for an altazimuth mount for this telescope.

Welcome to the forum !

Why not introduce yourself in the Welcome section ? :smiley: :

http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/11-welcome/

This thread is 4 years old so the contributors may well have moved onto other equipment now !.

I have an ED120 and find the Skywatcher AZ-4 with a steel legged tripod just about adequate for a quick session. For extended and high power use I use something more stable, a Giro-type mount.

I've not used an Astro-Tech Voyager but I reckon it might be on the light side for the ED120 to be honest with you.

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply. I did post a message introducing my self but I'm not sure where it ended up.

I will introduce myself again using the link you provided.

I have skywatcher evostar 120ed ds-pro and a baader hyperion zoom mk lll.

The mount I am using at the moment is the skywatcher eq5 deluxe but I would also like to have an az mount for quick set up

and viewing session.

I have been looking at the skytee 2 az mount. On flo's web site it states that the mount will fit onto an eq5 tripod.

I did send a query to flo but have not had a reply yet.

The other az mount I have been looking at is the orion versago lll micro motion mount.

Avtar

I've had an Astro Tech Voyager since 2008. I'd buy it again, but there have been issues.

First problem was where the tripod spreader attaches to each leg, the brackets that join the arms to the legs started to separate from the legs. It seemed a simple job to tighten the screws, but when I tried that, it was apparent that the threads had stripped under the strain of stopping the tripod legs spreading outwards. I could have sent it back (SCS Astro sold them back in 2008) but it seemed a weak point to me, so I did a DIY repair with ally straps that go right around each leg. It looks ok and has been a permanent repair that has lasted.

When they first sold them, they quoted a max load of 20 lbs. Well I'm not saying the mount would have collapsed, but a 20 lb load is a joke. I'd say a max of half that, and less if possible. It works a treat with my TV Pronto, 90mm Mak, and Lunt 35 Ha scope.

The supplied instructions gave dire warnings about tinkering with the mesh adjustments on the slow motions. Mine had a fair bit of backlash. I found it a simple job to sort that, it took a few tries to get it right, but it works a treat, and has done for almost 4 years without further attention.

I would not think this mount adequate for a 120mm refactor. Up to 90mm short tube is fine.

Regards, Ed.

I have one of these. My experience is pretty much the same as Ed. Leg attachment fell off with stripped threads. Gaffa taped it back on but vaguely planning to get a better tripod.

Usable grab and go mount for the fast 4" apo I use it with. Probably would be a lot better on a Berlebach or similar tripod.

Hi I have had mine mine since 2009 and it have been a good mount apart from the backlash in the worms .I like Ed was not to phased about doing a repair and its not that hard if the mount is secured in a vice or something as to tighten the worms onto the wheels you have to slightly loosen the 3 recessed allen head screws on the top of the AZ motion and the side ( I found it easier to revove this altitude movement off the mount via 3 small allen head screws on the out side and unscrewing the whole piece) . back to the adjustements , after the 3 main ( 5mm ) allen heads are loose its just a matter of slowely turning the whole top plate , screws and all and slowely turning the adjustement handle, back and forth as the main top plate is on a cam type arrangement that one way moves the worm away from the wheel inside the housing , and turning it the other way brings it closer to a better mesh of gears .As Ed said it takes a few attempts to get it right but its do-able with small movements and patients . I have had my now sold 150mm f/5 SW frak on mine , it handled it ok , but it was maxed out , my ED80 was perfect . Brian .

post-18525-0-25120900-1371466261_thumb.j

It's the mount I'm using as well, in combination with the Skywatcher Explorer 150PDS and it works very well for me. Just love the dob like handling with the added bonus of slow motion controls. So far it hasn't started to fall apart and it feels like a solid piece of equipment. Coulnd't be happier with my choice I think.

post-6906-0-71964400-1371916320_thumb.jp

It's the mount I'm using as well, in combination with the Skywatcher Explorer 150PDS and it works very well for me. Just love the dob like handling with the added bonus of slow motion controls. So far it hasn't started to fall apart and it feels like a solid piece of equipment. Coulnd't be happier with my choice I think.

It's great when you find a piece of kit that does exactly what you want, not always easy to achieve, as is shown by the amount of stuff that comes up for sale second hand.

Hopefully the manufacturers have sorted the leg brackets, I've seen threads on CN about that, so maybe the makers have taken note, as it's definitely a 'known' problem.

It not, a basic DIY repair can be done, here's a pic of the leg to spreader bracket that sorted mine.

Regards, Ed.

Archived