Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mak 127 Cleaning & Mission Creep

Had some visible speckles in the view at high magnification & on external inspection could see particles on what I assumed to be the main mirror. 
I have been a bit reticent to tinker with the Mak but as they were visible & in case they were fungus decided to take the plunge & remove the collector lens and have a look. 
To my relief they turned out to be dust (I think from when I flocked the visual back) and on the collector mirror not the primary. A quick puff with a hurricane blower & they were gone. 

While I was in there though I noticed that both the collector baffle & the focus tube were surprisingly shiny - so spent a couple of hours flocking them. 
I know that flocking the main tube is not considered an essential mod, but while I had the front off I might as well do that too in the interests of squeezing maximum contrast out.  
All nice and dark in there & looking forward to getting out & seeing if it makes a difference (& checking I haven’t mucked up collimation :) 

47E76FE6-911E-4C45-8990-AAD01A64D312.jpeg

F2D66017-B655-4BF3-9D24-3B359FE34ACE.jpeg

E06E47CC-0970-4DD4-A6B9-84C27594C23C.jpeg

0A75868B-BE6A-4D8F-BEB3-302A5BC57F2D.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, banjaxed said:

Out of interest how easy or difficult was it to remove the lens ?

Very easy - couldn’t crack the screw safely by hand but started easily with gentle persuasion with a strap wrench & then unscrewed smoothly.

104C748C-4DCC-4002-BB7E-AC38C1049615.jpeg

Edited by SuburbanMak