NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to look for in imaging camera

cpsTN

My current scope is a Celestron Omni 150, the 6" f/5 Newtonian on an Orion Skyview Pro GEM. What are the desired parameters when considering a dedicated astro camera for lunar Imaging? My goal is to get enough data, in single images or by stacking images or video frames to print reasonably high to high quality 8x10" or at least 5x7" prints.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with today's planetary cameras, the ones from ZWO, QHY are probrably the market leaders or you go abit cheaper and get a touptek based camera from altair or rising cam from ali express.. depends on your budget, wanted sensor and pixel size 

I don't know what to do with these responses. I don't know what is best as far as pixel size and type of sensor. If you take the ZWO series,  there seems to be like a hundred of them and I don't know if I need a smaller pixel size or a larger pixel size or a smaller sensor bigger sensor more megapixels are fewer megapixels... I'm trying to differentiate among the several planetary cameras as far as what I need and particularly the quality of prints I might make. No one seems to ever address that issue. 

OK...  only have a little time, but I can help with some basics for you I think.    Your scope is fast...  so you want small pixels.   You want to print presumably full moon shots, so a larger sensor.   I would recommend  a ZWO 183MC  (assuming you want a colour camera).    Here is a screen shot from the website recommended above where I put your scope in and the 183M    And the field of view you will see.   Without a barlow you will capture the whole moon.   This is underampling -   "wasting" aperture in a sense, but totally fine!  We all do it.   Will make a very nice image for printing at larger than 8X10 easy given good data.  (good seeing and capture data and processing)      The smaller field of view shown is what you would capture with a 2X barlow still well inside your "window" of possibility.     You could push a bit more on a good night and get still more details.     If, down the road, you wanted to ramp things up a bit you can try shooting at the higher power and make a mosaic that will print bigger.    Much to learn....  but there ya go.   My 2 cents.  ;)

Edit......   Coma will probably be a factor in trying to make a mosaic.   For full discs NO barlow best.   But,  as well as full discs, you could power things up and reduce your field of view - go for detail shots.  Reducing field of view will speed your camera up - more images in capture =  equals more good seeing frozen and available to stack into better images.  :)))    Clear as mud?   lol    Gotta go!  6yo needs bed.  ;)

Clear skies

Mike

astronomy_tools_fov.png

Edited by WestCoastCannuck
Corrections
  • Like 1