NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dovetails, clamps, saddles, Vixen, Losmandy...this is so confusing

dazzystar

Hi All,

Being pretty new to all of this, I'm getting confused by the terminology being used especially when it comes to mounting things to a scope. Does anyone know of a guide (or video) that explains all these terms so i can get to grips with it all? 

Cheers

Daz

Basicly the old narrow type Vixen style dovetail bars have been around for ages and are fine for lighter scopes. The bigger wider Losmandy type are ideal for bigger scopes but weigh more so not ideal for use on smaller telescope mounts where the extra weight can be a problem. 

Dovetail saddles (the part that the dovetail bars fit into) come in three types. Vixen and Losmandy of course but also in a dual fit type that will hold either vixen or Losmandy but cost more.

Edited by johninderby

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Basicly the old narrow type Vixen style dovetail bars have been around for ages and are fine for lighter scopes. The bigger wider Losmandy type are ideal for bigger scopes but weigh more so not ideal for use on smaller telescope mounts whete the extra weight can be a problem. 

Dovetail saddles (the part that the dovetail bars fit into) come in three types. Vixen and Losmandy of course but also in a dual fit type that will hold either vixen or Losmandy but cost more.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. So, my EQ3 Pro saddle currently hold my Startravel 102 which is on a green Vixen style dovetail bar. Is there a weight limit or a guide to how much weight this can take before you should upgrade it to a Losmandy style one even if it'll fit my saddle?

The basic vixen dovetail that comes with your scope is strong enough to handle a fair bit of weight but would flex a bit with a heavy scope. However you can get much heavier duty Vixen type dovetails that will handle plenty of weight. The Losmandy is heavier duty still and being wider more stable but wouldn’t be thinking about one unless using a larger scope of say over 10kg.

Better Vixen type dovetail bar.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/stellamira-universal-vixen-style-dovetail-bar.html

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The basic vixen dovetail that comes with your scope is strong enough to handle a fair bit of weight but would flex a bit with a heavy scope. However you can get much heavier duty Vixen type dovetails that will handle plenty of weight. The Losmandy is heavier duty still and being wider more stable but wouldn’t be thinking about one unless using a larger scope of say over 10kg.

Better Vixen type dovetail bar.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/stellamira-universal-vixen-style-dovetail-bar.html

Thanks. Only asking as I'm looking to mount a mini pc and the motor control box on top of the OTA using the two 1/4-inch camera holes on the existing scope rings and looking for a decent way to do it.

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Dovetails, clamps, saddles, Vixen, Losmandy...this is so confusing

You might sometimes encounter Arca Swiss dovetails as well which is mainly used in photographic equipment for things like tripod heads but turns up in some astro gear as well. They're a similar width to a Vixen dovetail and you can find both types on different sides of the same dovetail - William Optics sell them for example.