Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finderscope Crosshair Orientation

Hi all,

I have a Sky-Watcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope which I've used a few times since getting my scope.  Ever since receiving it the crosshair has been closer to  'x' than '+'.  Annoyingly it is actually somewhere in between both.

This is starting to annoy me as sometimes I am not clear exactly which direction I am moving when using it so I was wondering:

• Is this crosshair orientation typical for this model?  As it is neither a '+' nor a 'x', I am not convinced this would be the case but I may be wrong.
  • Can I easily fix the orientation myself?  I've read about a method using a 'paper shim' but haven't found much more on them.
  • Lastly is this potentially a defect?  The item is still under warranty so I am considering contacting the supplier.

Thanks in advance!

If it is similar to the straight through finders you should be able to move the crosshair. If you unscrew the "eyepiece" end of the finder you will see there is a small ring holding the X. If you carefully loosen this you should be able to move the crosshair to where you want it.

Here is a link to repair, but it shows how to remove the X.

Edited by Clarkey

6 hours ago, Clarkey said:

If it is similar to the straight through finders you should be able to move the crosshair. If you unscrew the "eyepiece" end of the finder you will see there is a small ring holding the X. If you carefully loosen this you should be able to move the crosshair to where you want it.

Here is a link to repair, but it shows how to remove the X.

Thanks for your reply but the eyepiece is a bit different on the right angled version, the small ring is behind a lens/mirror when unscrewing it. 

There is a rectangular panel attached with 4 screwed on the actual eyepiece itself but I have refrained from opening this just yet for lack of an understanding of what is behind it!  Obviously would rather not damage anything so what do you think?  Image below.

Edited by ch00se
Image attached

The rectangular panel is part of the diagonal and behind it there is a mirror that turns the light through 90°. I had a similar problem with the cross hairs on my Sky-Watcher RACI finder. I fixed it by tightening the eyepiece a little as that rotated the cross hairs enough for me. I expect the paper shim fix involves unscrewing the eyepiece and putting a paper washer under it so that when retightened the cross hair position is different.

Mine is more of a x as well.  While that would be a bad thing in my rifle scopes, once I am zeroed whether it's a x or a + I guess it doesn't really matter, but I know exactly what you are talking about and now that you mention it....it's going to annoy me again lol

I don't know if they are the same, but on the TS Optics RACI finder version (Which was also at about 45º to the tube), the eyepiece can be unscrewed and the support ring moved. Is yours like this? I know you said above that you unscrewed it, but I'm wondering which bit you unscrewed :icon_scratch: , or maybe the SW version is different.

image.thumb.png.b7e67cb0da897f163b173fb19955de67.png