Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Raspberry Pi - Ooops !!

Skipper Billy

Whilst messing about between  various pieces of kit I mistakenly applied 12v to a Raspberry Pi - it runs off 5v.

The 'magic smoke' escaped and subsequently applying 5v released even more!

I am guessing it is kapput but thought I would ask what the likely damage is before binning it - partly because new ones are very hard to get hold of!

The smoke seemed to come from the area indicated.

(I am pretty handy with a soldering iron but know virtually zero about electronics.)

raspberry-pi-3bplus-1.jpg

While you might be able to replace components, you may have fried stuff way further beyond the power regulator components (which I suspect are what would take the brunt of this error).

Pi4 2GB are in stock apparently: https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b

I'm afraid that for ~£50 it wouldn't be worth my while working out how to repair it or go down that route without necessarily having any idea whether it would be successful.

Note with the Pihut, when stock comes in it is always already sold for backorders, in general it will be a long time before they have a surplus of unsold units, so waiting for them to come into stock without placing an order is not going to get you one.

I do have a number of Pis, anoriginal model B,  around 2 Pi3B, one Pi3B+, some (3 or 4) Pi4 4GB and 8GB, I'd be happy to let one go if I was reimbursed the retail price + cost of packaging and shipping, board only.

Edited by gilesco

17 minutes ago, gilesco said:

While you might be able to replace components, you may have fried stuff way further beyond the power regulator components (which I suspect are what would take the brunt of this error).

Pi4 2GB are in stock apparently: https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b

I'm afraid that for ~£50 it wouldn't be worth my while working out how to repair it or go down that route without necessarily having any idea whether it would be successful.

Note with the Pihut, when stock comes in it is always already sold for backorders, in general it will be a long time before they have a surplus of unsold units, so waiting for them to come into stock without placing an order is not going to get you one.

Thanks for the reply - thats what I feared - it is now filed under B (Bin!)

I will have a look at the PiHut - last time I looked they didnt have any in stock and your comment explains why!!

Many thanks.

I have managed to get a 2GB one ordered from PiHut - I would imagine the 2GB model will do the job - its only running an All Sky Camera - 1 photo every 50 seconds - maybe converting the images into the startrail and timelapse might make it sweat a bit!

Thanks everyone for your help.

13 minutes ago, gilesco said:

I do have a number of Pis, anoriginal model B,  around 2 Pi3B, one Pi3B+, some (3 or 4) Pi4 4GB and 8GB, I'd be happy to let one go if I was reimbursed the retail price + cost of packaging and shipping, board only.

I would be interested in the Pi4 8GB if you would like to PM your price ??

I will PM you shortly, these have the aluminium armour cases on them, so not easy to identify which model is which without booting them up!! You can opt to have it with or without the case - I'll take a picture of it so you get an idea and then can decide if you want it or not.

50 minutes ago, gilesco said:

I will PM you shortly, these have the aluminium armour cases on them, so not easy to identify which model is which without booting them up!! You can opt to have it with or without the case - I'll take a picture of it so you get an idea and then can decide if you want it or not.

Perfect - thank you.