SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DX102AZ realistic expectations

Hi all

I purchased a Starsense Explorer DX102AZ last year with the phone tracking mount.  Regretably, it has not had much use to date (have had house renovations going on) but the kids are starting to show interest again.

So far, only pointing it at the moon with the 25mm eye piece and moon filter has given any results.  I know I can't expect too much out of this scope, but what can I realistically expect?  Apart from the moon am I likely to only see different dots of light with this scope?

Also, are there any upgrades that could help this scope or is it ok just out the box?

Thanks !

Hi Jammy G,

I'm about a year in on a similar trajectory to you - I've got a Celestron 130az - so a slightly bigger reflector, but 102mm should allow you to view quite a lot. I live in the city with quite light polluted skies (Bortle 4-5). The Starsense app works well despite these conditions and will direct you to the brighter objects in the sky.

I tend to get interesting views of planets, open clusters and bright nebula. Unfortunately Saturn is pretty much too low to see now, and Jupiter is getting lower in the sky, but should be visible just after dark. Try looking at Pleiades to get a taster of open clusters and there are good views of the Orion Nebula at the moment - but there are many slightly less bright, but nonetheless fascinating, objects on the Starsense app.

One thing I'd recommend getting are some new eyepieces, because the ones supplied with the starsense scopes are terrible. I began with Baader Classic orthoscopic eyepieces, which were okay, but moved onto BST explorers, which were much more satisfactory, after advice on this forum. The eyepieces really make the experience, the view of the moon and planets is far superior and they change open clusters from dull "dots of light" to something much more structured and spellbinding.

Good luck!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Giles_B said:

Hi Jammy G,

I'm about a year in on a similar trajectory to you - I've got a Celestron 130az - so a slightly bigger reflector, but 102mm should allow you to view quite a lot. I live in the city with quite light polluted skies (Bortle 4-5). The Starsense app works well despite these conditions and will direct you to the brighter objects in the sky.

I tend to get interesting views of planets, open clusters and bright nebula. Unfortunately Saturn is pretty much too low to see now, and Jupiter is getting lower in the sky, but should be visible just after dark. Try looking at Pleiades to get a taster of open clusters and there are good views of the Orion Nebula at the moment - but there are many slightly less bright, but nonetheless fascinating, objects on the Starsense app.

One thing I'd recommend getting are some new eyepieces, because the ones supplied with the starsense scopes are terrible. I began with Baader Classic orthoscopic eyepieces, which were okay, but moved onto BST explorers, which were much more satisfactory, after advice on this forum. The eyepieces really make the experience, the view of the moon and planets is far superior and they change open clusters from dull "dots of light" to something much more structured and spellbinding.

Good luck!

Fantastic, thanks very much I'll check out some new eyepeices.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 17:45, DhamR said:

Definitely seek out the Orion Nebula (M42) if you want to see something other than a dot of light.

Get a UHC filter. The details revealed for DSO’s and other ‘fuzzy’ targets will be worth it. I have the Explore Scientific one. Has pretty good reviews for a mid-priced filter.

2 hours ago, Philip R said:

Get a UHC filter. The details revealed for DSO’s and other ‘fuzzy’ targets will be worth it. I have the Explore Scientific one. Has pretty good reviews for a mid-priced filter.

I'm not familiar with this scope but isn't it a 102mm Newtonian? The OP may have problems with dark images on a small newt with a UHC filter?

On 06/02/2022 at 00:26, cajen2 said:

I'm not familiar with this scope but isn't it a 102mm Newtonian? The OP may have problems with dark images on a small newt with a UHC filter?

No… it’s a refractor.

I use my ES UHC with my TV Ranger [480mm/70mm] without issues.

Edited by Philip R

The DX102AZ is the largest aperture refractor in the  StarSense Explorer range - there are reflectors in the range, the best being the 130mm. This achromatic refractor is pretty useful at f/6.5 and I suspect will take a UHC filter reasonably well - better than a narrower band pass OIII at least. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the StarSense 102Dx and found the first upgrade to make is to replace the cheap Amici prism diagonal with a dielectric star diagonal.  This will reduce vignetting and brighten the image.

A Barlow and zoom eyepiece will give you an opportunity to experiment before you invest in other eyepieces.  I find the SVBony line are decent, low-cost options to start off with.

The SVBony Redline 68° 20mm, 15mm, 9mm and 6mm set, along with the Celestron Omni 32mm for a wide field view, have been good for me so far, without breaking the bank.

• Like 2