NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scopetech with ADM clamp

Stu

I have been using a piece of cut off plastic (actually an old National Trust membership card!) to prevent the clamp on the Scopetech mount from marring the surfaces of my lovely new MoreBlue Dovetails, not an ideal solution as you can see.

This dual format clamp came up in the FLO clearance and although I won’t need the Losmandy format it seemed a good deal to solve my problem, so I suggested it as a Christmas present from my son. I picked it up the other day, and have now fitted it; a very quick and easy process. As with all ADM kit it is beautifully made and works really well. Very pleased with the upgrade, and I’ve thrown away the bit of plastic! 🤪

8ED263AE-2FE0-40CA-A33F-DD9ECCCD623C.thumb.png.83802a2d575bc39c8c04811339f3a42a.png

5404FCB7-3A0E-49C3-89F7-319E26F3175C.thumb.jpeg.3cdba6f564f73027079cc93c060b98c2.jpeg

D60CCCCC-CF00-4A50-BB35-748E02A8B624.thumb.jpeg.50222cc85e39466fe1eb2b6825041d85.jpeg

E012E971-78A6-4E45-AE19-FB2D33989667.thumb.jpeg.4c6e25cebcc08f554719f0e6f7803f11.jpeg

CF3146B9-D84A-4D02-A392-4902AB7872A8.thumb.jpeg.0a54b3d1a29e9dcc759c8447f1c7eca0.jpeg

• Like 2

1 step above a strip of credit/membership card (which does work!) is to bend a strip of thin aluminium plate lengthwise so it fits the shape of the dovetail. Vixen scopes put a stainless strip down one side to protect aluminium bars - even that gets marked, but then you can turn it over.

BTW  @Stu and others, how have you found the Scopetech Zero over time?

I tried a 'returned' example form Flo, which they said had been checked over but the slo-mos were either stiff or sloppy and would not adjust to a happy medium . I tried the factory adjustment method they sent me to correct the clearance between worm and wheel, but no joy so perhaps it was a bad example and I returned it. Like the design and portability so if quality was assured would try one again.

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1

On 24/01/2022 at 19:09, Stephenstargazer said:

1 step above a strip of credit/membership card (which does work!) is to bend a strip of thin aluminium plate lengthwise so it fits the shape of the dovetail. Vixen scopes put a stainless strip down one side to protect aluminium bars - even that gets marked, but then you can turn it over.

I tried a 'returned' example form Flo, which they said had been checked over but the slo-mos were either stiff or sloppy and would not adjust to a happy medium . I tried the factory adjustment method they sent me to correct the clearance between worm and wheel, but no joy so perhaps it was a bad example and I returned it. Like the design and portability so if quality was assured would try one again.

And that's what put me off them, I think i will stick to my trusty old AZ 4. Very expensive for what they are too.

On 22/01/2022 at 23:37, Stu said:

I have been using a piece of cut off plastic (actually an old National Trust membership card!) to prevent the clamp on the Scopetech mount from marring the surfaces of my lovely new MoreBlue Dovetails, not an ideal solution as you can see.

This is one thing that really niggles me, see so many pics with dovetails chewed to pieces on high end kit too, why oh why don't manufacturers put a better clamp in place 🤷‍♂️

Even svbony make their clamps with a brass block, so it can't be that expensive to do? https://www.svbony.com/categories/Dovetail/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doublevodka said:

This is one thing that really niggles me, see so many pics with dovetails chewed to pieces on high end kit too, why oh why don't manufacturers put a better clamp in place 🤷‍♂️

Even svbony make their clamps with a brass block, so it can't be that expensive to do? https://www.svbony.com/categories/Dovetail/

I do agree that for something that is a high end mount, it should include a non marring clamp. The incremental cost can’t be that high. It does feel much better with the new clamp.

• Like 1

I can only speak from experience and say that yes, I had to adjust the tension on the mount as it was too stiff (from memory), but it is now very much to my liking. The slow motions are on the firm side (as it were matron ☺️) but that is how I prefer it. I can slew the mount by pushing the scope or using the slow motions, and there is a little backlash but quite acceptable to me.

Yes, it’s an expensive mount for what it is, but the benefits are the fact that it folds down into a very neat package for travel and also has the adjustable arm depending on scope and preferences. Not every ones cup of tea, and the AZ4 is a very credible, lower cost alternative. I believe the Scopetech is more rigid that the AZ5 but I’ve never used one so can’t comment from experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks @Stu I really like the mount for its weight and the way it packs down. It's a shame the slow motions have not been better engineered. I think the fundamental problem is that that the slow motions have to work against the friction setting??  Whereas on a Rowan, or Vixen AP, the clutch is below the slow motion and can be locked completely. These of course are heavier and more expensive to boot, but do have very silky controls. Seems like the perfect small and light mount is elusive, though their are some good 'push' types. May have to look at the Ayo Vamo Traveller !

• Like 1

On 26/01/2022 at 17:52, Stephenstargazer said:

May have to look at the Ayo Vamo Traveller !

Just coming back to this, I did try a Vamo Traveller and just didn’t get on with it for some reason. Perfectly good mount, very well engineered but just didn’t click with me for some reason.

Back on the Scopetech, I was getting annoyed at the slow motion cable getting in the way of the focuser so decided to switch it around. I’ve done this before and found the slow motion cables I had clashed and were awkward to use. This time, with the nice long and floppy Vixen cables it works much better. I can reach the controls easily and no longer jiggle the scope each time I focus. Glad I did it 👍

30498DFA-58EE-4F95-AA26-90FF612601E9.jpeg

B56F375C-4217-4381-B625-E4743A3A8AB3.jpeg

0C7ED3FF-245B-4742-83C6-F73452C790FE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I had one of the first batch in summer of 2020 and that seized up completely almost immediately... FLO replaced it of course and that one has been my constant use grab and go mount now for over 18 months... I do find that you need to tighten the clutches just enough but not too tight, and it "just works". I love the fact that you can move the scope by hand then switch to the slow motion controls, without needing to mess with the clutches again (very much like the AZ100).

It's not perfect... I do find that the nuts on the slow motion system can loosen occasionally and need to be tightened again (otherwise terrible backlash), but perhaps I just need to get the locking tightness right 🤔

I have also replaced the standard saddle with a dual clamp ADM saddle which works well. I did also (briefly) have the FC-76DCU mounted directly onto the mount, which reduced weight a little more, looked very cool, centred the scope a little better, but meant I couldn't easily swap to using the FOA-60Q when I didn't want to mess with getting the AZ100 out.

I would happily buy another one, unless something better came along, but for me it's the perfect grab and go mount 👍

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1