Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spring Astrocamp 2022

Pixies

4 hours ago, cajen2 said:

Don't do FB....😝

The only time I use socks is when I'm observing....and I've packed some nice thick ones!

I've also packed 'The Bear'. This is a WW2 style bomber jacket designed to keep you toastie at 14,000 feet. It's honestly too warm to wear above about 5°!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

I've also packed 'The Bear'. This is a WW2 style bomber jacket designed to keep you toastie at 14,000 feet. It's honestly too warm to wear above about 5°!

Any chance of a link? Or link to something similar. Sounds like a useful item.

Regards.

1 minute ago, Live_Steam_Mad said:

Any chance of a link? Or link to something similar. Sounds like a useful item.

Regards.

Hmm, I've had it a while. I'll see what I can do. Caution: it weighs a ton!

6 hours ago, cajen2 said:

Up early this morning...have to admit to a frisson of excitement - my first stargazing party! The van's all loaded and I'm ready to roll!

Hope you have clear skies.  I got up at 0500 this morning and took a quick peak outside at the gas giants.  Then went back in.  Jammies and slippers are not the best observation attire at 23 degrees.

Arrived and immediately got stuck - the site had put new turf on my pitch! 😥😆 Had to be towed our of the hole with  their little tractor.... been promised a hard standing today - fingers crossed...

Edited by cajen2

10 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Arrived and immediately got stuck - the site had put new turf on my pitch! 😥😆 Had to be towed our of the hole with I've heir little tractor.... been promised a hard standing today - fingers crossed...

You need a gas guzzling 4 wheel drive pick up truck with big tires.  Problem solved.

Was -7C last night, apparently. Everything was frosted-up when I went to bed. Electric radiator and electric blanket did the job.

Nice dark skies but a little haze. Was good to look through a 16" dob, although not sure I could handle having to use a step ladder to observe! Really fascinating to see an EV scope in action, too.IMG_20220402_185411472_HDR.thumb.jpg.48f324c18d2655dbf708d417953353af.jpg

• Like 6

Left this morning quite early, so I had no chance to give the organisers big thanks for setting it all up. On the off chance that any of them read this, thank you and well done! The talks, quiz and forum were very informative and entertaining.

Also goodbye to @Pixies, @Live_Steam_Mad and anyone else who's on here - can't usually match usernames with real ones!

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 2