Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spring Astrocamp 2022

Pixies

We're missing it this year, but it's a great, fun event. If the weather's good, it'll be a weekend for attempting a Messier Marathon I gather - aiming to see all of them in one night.

We are hoping to be at the autumn Astrocamp in September though.

Having The Common as a shared space for setting up scopes is a great idea, as it means you can wander around and see what others are looking at. 

Don't be put off if everyone seems to know each other, you'll be very welcome to join in, and taking a camp chair (and a few beers) down to join in the conversations under the gazebos is recommended.

ETA: If you're on Facebook, there's an Astrocamp Facebook group, this is very useful for sharing info before and (particularly) over the weekend. 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Is this one mainly for observing or do imagers attend as well ?

Steve

Plenty of imagers go as well - they tend to stay nearer their tents rather than setting up on The Common. 

astrocamp plan.jpg

A mix of observers and imagers are in attendance, several people that I know who are going are imagers, I am a kind of hard core visual observer, as it were. There is usually at least one person with a large Newton telescope on a Dobson type mount. I will be bringing the usual 12" SCT, but in future would like to bring a 16" Ultralight Newton when I finally get my hands on one. You are going to love it, they turn all the lights off at the campsite or put them on dull red light, and the Council turns off the Street Lights just beyond the bottom of the campsite along the road, so we get a great view during the event.

Best Regards

Alistair G.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really want to attend a camp, and have been booked to go to two last year or two but either covid or flooding put paid to that.
I just checked availability and the only pitches with EH are those right next to to road so maybe not great for imaging, should have tried earlier.

Is there some way of knowing when all these stargazing camps are on as I think generally they do get booked up pretty quick 🙂 

Steve

9 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I really want to attend a camp, and have been booked to go to two last year or two but either covid or flooding put paid to that.
I just checked availability and the only pitches with EH are those right next to to road so maybe not great for imaging, should have tried earlier.

Is there some way of knowing when all these stargazing camps are on as I think generally they do get booked up pretty quick 🙂 

Steve

There's a Facebook group that gives heads up of when the booking opens. 

The dates for the next few  have been announced

• Next September 24 - 27
  • Following April 22 - 25  
  • September '23  16 - 19 

More generally, the gostargazing.co.uk website holds details of Astro Events across the country

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers, I must try to get to one this year.
I was going to go to this one anyway even if I could not set my imaging gear up but just checked and I am at a War of the Worlds concert in Leeds that weekend so dates not good for me anyway.

Hopefully meet up with some of you soon though, I hope the clouds stay away that weeknd 🙂 

Steve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Steve

I wouldn't worry about the road, it's a very small village with very little traffic from what I experienced, and there is a hedge that blocks most of the car headlights, and if you are imaging it won't affect you hardly at all I imagine, and during the event the Council of Powys switch off the street lighting along the road at just beyond the bottom of the site, so don't worry about lights there so much. There are 4 pitches with EHU left, and if I were you I would grab one quick.

Last year I attended Brecon Astrocamp 15 in October, then SWAG at Pencelli slightly later in October, then Kielder Astrocamp in November, so there were quite a few to choose from that went ahead. This year there is also a decent choice of Astrocamps to go to. Yeah I recommend you get to know all about the ones within driving distance, then book early for them.

Best Regards,

AG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Cheers, I must try to get to one this year.
I was going to go to this one anyway even if I could not set my imaging gear up but just checked and I am at a War of the Worlds concert in Leeds that weekend so dates not good for me anyway.

Hopefully meet up with some of you soon though, I hope the clouds stay away that weeknd 🙂 

Steve

Oh that's a shame, well hope to meet you at one of the other Astrocamps soon.

The Dalby StarFest would have been ideal for you, I was booked into that for their 20th Annual one in Autumn 2021 but it got cancelled due to Covid late on. However, Dalby StarFest has no EHU, and no WiFi if I remember right, so that would be a problem for me, as ideally I need both. Maybe try booking for Kelling or something else from the GoStarGazing website?

AG

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Live_Steam_Mad said:

I wouldn't worry about the road, it's a very small village with very little traffic from what I experienced, and there is a hedge that blocks most of the car headlights, and if you are imaging it won't affect you hardly at all I imagine, and during the event the Council of Powys switch off the street lighting along the road at just beyond the bottom of the site, so don't worry about lights there so much. There are 4 pitches with EHU left, and if I were you I would grab one quick.

Last year I attended Brecon Astrocamp 15 in October, then SWAG at Pencelli slightly later in October, then Kielder Astrocamp in November, so there were quite a few to choose from that went ahead. This year there is also a decent choice of Astrocamps to go to. Yeah I recommend you get to know all about the ones within driving distance, then book early for them.

Best Regards,

AG

I was going to till I checked what else I was doing and unfortunately on the Sunday that weekend I am at a  I am at a War of the Worlds concert in Leeds that weekend so dates not good for me

27 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Aaargh! I've just tried about 15 times to book for this online and nothing happens. The campsite booking page shows blank for those dates too. Is there anyone I can contact?

Are you on Facebook?

• 2 months later...

It seems that Bil Irving on the Facebook Astrocamp "forum" is offering pitch #50 with EHU since he can't attend? If someone fancies to come along who is not already booked, maybe that's your chance?

I'll miss observing with you Mark, Best Wishes and hope to see you next time and / or at some other Starcamp!

In mid February I ordered a Hubble Optics UL16 Ultralight Newtonian for next Starcamp, it should have arrived by the next Starcamp, that should be good for some Galaxies and Planetary Nebulae.

I am also booked in to Dalby StarFest, Kielder Autumn Starcamp and Galloway Starcamp for later this year.

Regards,

Alistair