Jump to content

1912116577_Solarchallenge2022banner.jpg.913a200cf105ddeae9f37765cb1d0c73.jpg

Spring Astrocamp 2022


Recommended Posts

Anyone here going to the Spring Astrocamp 2022 in Cwmdu this year? The Awesome Astronomy one.

My first star party of any kind - as long as the rust-bucket/Bongo can make it down there in one piece!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're missing it this year, but it's a great, fun event. If the weather's good, it'll be a weekend for attempting a Messier Marathon I gather - aiming to see all of them in one night.

We are hoping to be at the autumn Astrocamp in September though.

Having The Common as a shared space for setting up scopes is a great idea, as it means you can wander around and see what others are looking at. 

Don't be put off if everyone seems to know each other, you'll be very welcome to join in, and taking a camp chair (and a few beers) down to join in the conversations under the gazebos is recommended.

ETA: If you're on Facebook, there's an Astrocamp Facebook group, this is very useful for sharing info before and (particularly) over the weekend. 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Is this one mainly for observing or do imagers attend as well ?

Steve

Plenty of imagers go as well - they tend to stay nearer their tents rather than setting up on The Common. 

astrocamp plan.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A mix of observers and imagers are in attendance, several people that I know who are going are imagers, I am a kind of hard core visual observer, as it were. There is usually at least one person with a large Newton telescope on a Dobson type mount. I will be bringing the usual 12" SCT, but in future would like to bring a 16" Ultralight Newton when I finally get my hands on one. You are going to love it, they turn all the lights off at the campsite or put them on dull red light, and the Council turns off the Street Lights just beyond the bottom of the campsite along the road, so we get a great view during the event.

Best Regards

Alistair G.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really want to attend a camp, and have been booked to go to two last year or two but either covid or flooding put paid to that.
I just checked availability and the only pitches with EH are those right next to to road so maybe not great for imaging, should have tried earlier.

Is there some way of knowing when all these stargazing camps are on as I think generally they do get booked up pretty quick 🙂 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I really want to attend a camp, and have been booked to go to two last year or two but either covid or flooding put paid to that.
I just checked availability and the only pitches with EH are those right next to to road so maybe not great for imaging, should have tried earlier.

Is there some way of knowing when all these stargazing camps are on as I think generally they do get booked up pretty quick 🙂 

Steve

There's a Facebook group that gives heads up of when the booking opens. 

The dates for the next few  have been announced

  • Next September 24 - 27
  • Following April 22 - 25  
  • September '23  16 - 19 

More generally, the gostargazing.co.uk website holds details of Astro Events across the country

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers, I must try to get to one this year.
I was going to go to this one anyway even if I could not set my imaging gear up but just checked and I am at a War of the Worlds concert in Leeds that weekend so dates not good for me anyway.

Hopefully meet up with some of you soon though, I hope the clouds stay away that weeknd 🙂 

Steve

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I really want to attend a camp, and have been booked to go to two last year or two but either covid or flooding put paid to that.
I just checked availability and the only pitches with EH are those right next to to road so maybe not great for imaging, should have tried earlier.

Is there some way of knowing when all these stargazing camps are on as I think generally they do get booked up pretty quick 🙂 

Steve

I wouldn't worry about the road, it's a very small village with very little traffic from what I experienced, and there is a hedge that blocks most of the car headlights, and if you are imaging it won't affect you hardly at all I imagine, and during the event the Council of Powys switch off the street lighting along the road at just beyond the bottom of the site, so don't worry about lights there so much. There are 4 pitches with EHU left, and if I were you I would grab one quick.

Last year I attended Brecon Astrocamp 15 in October, then SWAG at Pencelli slightly later in October, then Kielder Astrocamp in November, so there were quite a few to choose from that went ahead. This year there is also a decent choice of Astrocamps to go to. Yeah I recommend you get to know all about the ones within driving distance, then book early for them.

Best Regards,

AG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Cheers, I must try to get to one this year.
I was going to go to this one anyway even if I could not set my imaging gear up but just checked and I am at a War of the Worlds concert in Leeds that weekend so dates not good for me anyway.

Hopefully meet up with some of you soon though, I hope the clouds stay away that weeknd 🙂 

Steve

Oh that's a shame, well hope to meet you at one of the other Astrocamps soon.

The Dalby StarFest would have been ideal for you, I was booked into that for their 20th Annual one in Autumn 2021 but it got cancelled due to Covid late on. However, Dalby StarFest has no EHU, and no WiFi if I remember right, so that would be a problem for me, as ideally I need both. Maybe try booking for Kelling or something else from the GoStarGazing website?

AG

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Live_Steam_Mad said:

I wouldn't worry about the road, it's a very small village with very little traffic from what I experienced, and there is a hedge that blocks most of the car headlights, and if you are imaging it won't affect you hardly at all I imagine, and during the event the Council of Powys switch off the street lighting along the road at just beyond the bottom of the site, so don't worry about lights there so much. There are 4 pitches with EHU left, and if I were you I would grab one quick.

Last year I attended Brecon Astrocamp 15 in October, then SWAG at Pencelli slightly later in October, then Kielder Astrocamp in November, so there were quite a few to choose from that went ahead. This year there is also a decent choice of Astrocamps to go to. Yeah I recommend you get to know all about the ones within driving distance, then book early for them.

Best Regards,

AG

I was going to till I checked what else I was doing and unfortunately on the Sunday that weekend I am at a  I am at a War of the Worlds concert in Leeds that weekend so dates not good for me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aaargh! I've just tried about 15 times to book for this online and nothing happens. The campsite booking page shows blank for those dates too. Is there anyone I can contact?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Aaargh! I've just tried about 15 times to book for this online and nothing happens. The campsite booking page shows blank for those dates too. Is there anyone I can contact?

Are you on Facebook?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

It's all busy over on the Facebook page.  Some people are planning to arrive today!

It'll be chilly, mind. Don't forget your thick socks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems that Bil Irving on the Facebook Astrocamp "forum" is offering pitch #50 with EHU since he can't attend? If someone fancies to come along who is not already booked, maybe that's your chance?

I'll miss observing with you Mark, Best Wishes and hope to see you next time and / or at some other Starcamp!

In mid February I ordered a Hubble Optics UL16 Ultralight Newtonian for next Starcamp, it should have arrived by the next Starcamp, that should be good for some Galaxies and Planetary Nebulae.

I am also booked in to Dalby StarFest, Kielder Autumn Starcamp and Galloway Starcamp for later this year.

Regards,

Alistair

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.