Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What to buy next?

So I'm currently imaging with the equipment in my signature and am looking to upgrade to an astro camera (ASI533MC Pro) in order to enhance my enjoyment of the hobby (Easier calibration process, etc). I have a basket put together on FLO but keep changing my mind. Here is what I have:

ZWO ASI533MC Pro

ZWO filter drawer for Canon EOS lenses

Optolong L-Pro 2" light pollution filter (As advised by FLO for the IR/UV properties and as I'm in Bortle 5, light pollution filtering can't hurt)

ZWO holder ring for ASI Cameras (My guide scope is currently mounted to my DSLR via an L Bracket but without the DSLR, I need a way to mount the scope)

I can't help think that for the price of the bottom three products, I could get a Sky-Watcher 72ED DS-Pro and do away with the camera lens all together. That said, I might miss the variable focal length a camera lens provides and the light pollution filter would be a big help. I can't really get a bigger scope as I'm using a star adventurer and the Redcats & Spacecats are quite a bit more pricey.

Every time I think I've made a decision, I keep changing my mind.

Get a bucket and write "Astrophotography" on it. Then open your wallet and start tipping money in! Welcome to the world of AP.

FWIW I live in bottle 6 and I have never used lift pollution filters. Personally I do not like the colouring they give -although it can be processed out. If it was me, I would get the small scope and at a later date consider something like an L-extreme to give narrowband options.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m quickly learning that a bucket of money is probably the best thing to have to this hobby. I did have an L-Extreme filter in my basket but read somewhere here that new versions are due to be released soon.

5 hours ago, CraigD1986 said:

I’m quickly learning that a bucket of money is probably the best thing to have to this hobby. I did have an L-Extreme filter in my basket but read somewhere here that new versions are due to be released soon.

I'm in a Bortle 6 as well and having used the L-Pro and now the L-Enhance, I say go for L-Enhance. It's a good middle ground between the L-Pro (which didn't kill enough of my light pollution) and the L-Extreme (which is going to require longer exposures and, therefore, good guiding).

10 minutes ago, raadoo said:

I'm in a Bortle 6 as well and having used the L-Pro and now the L-Enhance, I say go for L-Enhance. It's a good middle ground between the L-Pro (which didn't kill enough of my light pollution) and the L-Extreme (which is going to require longer exposures and, therefore, good guiding).

Is the L-Enhance good for all targets? I thought it was best for emissions nebula only? (Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m still new to all this). Does the L-Enhance act as a UV/IR filter too?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CraigD1986 said:

Is the L-Enhance good for all targets? I thought it was best for emissions nebula only? (Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m still new to all this). Does the L-Enhance act as a UV/IR filter too?

• Good for all targets? - No, best used in emission nebulae and strong Ha targets (i.e. not galaxies or reflection nebulae). I did try it, just for kicks, on the Moon once and it didn't do a lick of difference 😆
  • Does it act as a UV/IR filter - Yes. As it's a pretty tight dual narrowband filter it blocks everything ~480nm and everything over ~680nm. Obvious PSA: don't use it for solar stuff.

2 minutes ago, raadoo said:
  • Good for all targets? - No, best used in emission nebulae and strong Ha targets (i.e. not galaxies or reflection nebulae). I did try it, just for kicks, on the Moon once and it didn't do a lick of difference 😆
  • Does it act as a UV/IR filter - Yes. As it's a pretty tight dual narrowband filter it blocks everything ~480nm and everything over ~680nm. Obvious PSA: don't use it for solar stuff.

Ah that’s interesting, thanks.

Long story short, Alex at FLO recommended getting the ZWO UV/IR Cut filter to use between the ASI533MC-Pro and a sigma camera lens. I thought I might as well “upgrade” to a light pollution filter as these also do the job. L-Enhance/L-Extreme are on my wish list but I assumed I would only be able to use these with emission nebulae and nothing else. So you you think I might be better scrapping the L-Pro and getting the L-Enhance for L-Extreme instead?

On 21/01/2022 at 21:28, Clarkey said:

Get a bucket and write "Astrophotography" on it. Then open your wallet and start tipping money in! Welcome to the world of AP.

In my case a bucket wasn't big enough, so I upgraded to a keg! 😉

2 hours ago, CraigD1986 said:

Ah that’s interesting, thanks.

Long story short, Alex at FLO recommended getting the ZWO UV/IR Cut filter to use between the ASI533MC-Pro and a sigma camera lens. I thought I might as well “upgrade” to a light pollution filter as these also do the job. L-Enhance/L-Extreme are on my wish list but I assumed I would only be able to use these with emission nebulae and nothing else. So you you think I might be better scrapping the L-Pro and getting the L-Enhance for L-Extreme instead?

I don't have any experience with ZWO's UV/IR Cut filter, but I can vouch for the Baader Neodymium IR-UV Cut as being a solid choice. The other one I have and hate with a passion, on account of it giving me halos, is the Optolong CLS-CCD which, as you might imagine, I don't recommend. The Baader is what I use on broadband targets, like this M45 I recently did.

If I were starting out today, I'd get the Baader and the L-Enhance, with provisions for either the new L-Extreme or the Antlia ALP-T for the really faint stuff in dark sites.