Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photoshop CC colour settings problem.

ollypenrice

Despite, to the best of my ability, setting the colour settings in Ps CC to those of my old CS3, these two editions of Ps give very different colours. Here we have both CC and CS3 values on one screen. This screen grab is from CC with a screen grab of the colour settings dialogue box of CS3 open (in CC) on the right.

514917410_CS3ANDCC.thumb.JPG.4602a6675935c4c5a6eba3367ede5ab1.JPG

I've also tried unchecking the CC option Blend Text Colours using gamma, for what it's worth, and I've closed and re-opened CC asking it to restore defaults.

As you can see, the screen grab of the CS3 settings box on the right has a pinkish background in CC but it looks white in CS3. It looks pink on here and my pictures, processed in CS3, look right on SGL and elsewhere, so CS3 seems to be the 'right' one for net publication.

I cannot see why these versions of Ps give different colours. What am I missing?

Another thing: I get the warm pinkish-whites thing going on in Lightroom's 'Library' page but I get my CS3-like colours when I open the same photo in the 'Develop' page. So Lightroom's Library page seems to agree with PsCC while Lightroom's Devlop page agrees with PsCS3.

Help!

:Dlly

Edit:  Here is the dialogue box from CS3 on the left with a version of itself copied, opened and saved in CC over the right hand side.

236863198_CS3CCcomparator.jpg.469563f0abb2c3871283feb74d4ba4e6.jpg

Edited by ollypenrice

Check this option too Olly. Not sure if its the fix, but Under View, Proof Set up, you can select what ever set up you want under Device to Simulate.

I have always used Adobe RGB in this screen and the Colour settings.

Tom

image.png.c42517eb5ffd1b06e3e1063464692a6d.png

I also found this old one of my PS7 or something settings.

The custom setting to the Inspiron was from using a Spyder colour calibration device I think to calibrate the laptop to my printers laptop. It was his Spyder device.

Tom

image.png.cc1874649ca10c40afa2d5269711943e.png

Thanks Tom. The plot thickens after following you pointers.

If I set the settings in View, Proof Setup and View, Proof Colours to the same in both CS3 and CC I get totally different colours.

My CS3 settings are: Proof setup, working CMYK  (which is probably wrong but that's where it's always been.) And Proof colours is checked. If I apply these settings in CC the images look awful. But why are they different??

I get the best results in CC with Proof Setup set to Monitor RGB and Proof Setup unchecked.

There must be some other parameter in CC which is causing the difference but I don't know where it might be.

Olly

I cant offer any practical advice but know only to well the minefield that is "colour space", my only suggestion that is a last resort option is to log all your settings on both versions of PS and do a "reset to defaults" to see if that fixes the issue.

Alan

• Thanks 1

@ollypenrice you didn't happen to re-install or upgrade Windows recently did you?

The last time I upgraded my version of Windows I too has difficulty with my images not looking right in PS. It turned out that my monitor's gamma just needed a small tweak, which I did using QuickGamma 

• Thanks 1

Well, I got there in the end but I'm not really sure how. I tried to make one change at once but somehow lost track when I decided to follow an internet tutorial on Photoshop for photography. (What else is it for? :D) I switched to Adobe RGB colourspace everywhere I could find, ditching N. America General Purpose 2 which one expert dismissed as 'pretty useless' and went for Custom-Adobe RGB. In View, I also went for Proof Setup- Custom-Adobe RGB again. Proof Colours is unchecked. I'm convinced I'd tried all this before and still had pinkish-red for white but now I have good agreement with my copy of CS3. 

I also received a Datacolor SpiderX (miraculously delivered next day, which is good for where I live) and calibrated my screen. It was clearly about right before because it didn't change by much, but it may affect printing more dramatically. I'm dithering over a good photoprinter now that the ink-tank printers don't hold you to ransom over cartridge prices.)

Thanks Tom, Alan and Ciaran for your input.

Olly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Well, I got there in the end but I'm not really sure how. I tried to make one change at once but somehow lost track when I decided to follow an internet tutorial on Photoshop for photography. (What else is it for? :D) I switched to Adobe RGB colourspace everywhere I could find, ditching N. America General Purpose 2 which one expert dismissed as 'pretty useless' and went for Custom-Adobe RGB. In View, I also went for Proof Setup- Custom-Adobe RGB again. Proof Colours is unchecked. I'm convinced I'd tried all this before and still had pinkish-red for white but now I have good agreement with my copy of CS3. 

I also received a Datacolor SpiderX (miraculously delivered next day, which is good for where I live) and calibrated my screen. It was clearly about right before because it didn't change by much, but it may affect printing more dramatically. I'm dithering over a good photoprinter now that the ink-tank printers don't hold you to ransom over cartridge prices.)

Olly

Good to hear Olly, those Spyders are a must for anyone serious about photography, am still amazed that even my laptop screen is spot on for photo editing etc even with its very limited colour/luminance range.

Alan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

Good to hear you have it sorted. Yes I reckon the Adobe RGB is the best option. I ve been using it since day one, and I think I read that from some book or PS set up years ago.

Also I m sure it will jelp your printing. Have fun with those big prints.

Tom

• Like 1