SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gumtree scams

bf79

2 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

I did and found a member called juliangeorgeshaw - who seems to be well regarded and lives in France, but you are julianxxx !

Well it is me and it's only my observatory that lives in France although I do spend a lot of time there.

I lost my password and I was channeled by the software into creating a new account.  That's why I had to search "Julian Shaw" myself to find my old posts.

Anyway my point stands, please be careful about repeating what scammers tell you about other people. 

14 hours ago, julianxxx said:

Well it is me and it's only my observatory that lives in France although I do spend a lot of time there.

I lost my password and I was channeled by the software into creating a new account.  That's why I had to search "Julian Shaw" myself to find my old posts.

Anyway my point stands, please be careful about repeating what scammers tell you about other people. 

That’s strange as you opened your new julianxxx account on March 9th, but you used your old juliangeorgeshaw account on August 16th !

18 hours ago, julianxxx said:

It appears that you have found your password to your original account, and have been using it regularly since, or had contacted admin to reset your password, which is what the software would have done - not "channelled" you to create a new account. Keep your account details and passwords safe and up to date. Members should also use 2FA (2 Factor Authentication) to ensure their accounts are secure.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/08/2022 at 16:06, julianxxx said:

This is a shock.

I just did a search on my own name to find some previous posts and this came up. My name happens to be Julian Shaw and, as you could have found out for yourself, I am registered here. I have never owned a Celestron 8SE, I do not live in Lincolnshire and my wife's name is not Kelly! 

I am sorry for your loss but you should realise that spreading scammer misinformation can have negative consequences for innocent people. 

Not been on for a while so just found your post. Apologies if this has caused you any issue, Im only posting the info I had relating to a scammer, none of it is misinformation, its just unfortunate you have the same name as what I was given. 

Ive also been contacted by someone else on here who has been scammed by a Julian Shaw, but this was for a trailer and nothing astronomy related, so clearly someone out there is using that name (and most likely a few other made up names) to rip people off. 

I didn't intend this post to single you or anybody else out, it was more a post about my frustration and a reminder to people to be careful. Again, I genuinely apologise if I have caused you any issue.