Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar imaging equipment?

Phillyo

Morning all,

So I'm considering giving lunar imaging a go but I'm not sure where to start. I currently do DSO imaging with my ASI533, Samyang 135 lens mounted on my EQ6-R Pro. I also have an ASI120mm Mini that I use for autoguiding that MIGHT be usable for Lunar...? Maybe?

If I wanted to give it a try, and not spend too much, where would I start? Would the 120mm work ok? Would the ASI533 work? Do I just need a longer telescope and if so what would be a recommendation please?

Any advice for a lunar imaging beginner would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil.

"The ASI120 mini-camera offers you very good performance for planetary imaging" - highlight quote from ZWO website.

I'm a bit confused by your telescope - but what you use for DSO will work equally well for Lunar/Solar System. Just faster imaging :D

2 hours ago, Altocumulus said:

"The ASI120 mini-camera offers you very good performance for planetary imaging" - highlight quote from ZWO website.

I'm a bit confused by your telescope - but what you use for DSO will work equally well for Lunar/Solar System. Just faster imaging :D

My telescope is just a 135mm camera lens, so attaching the 120 mini is a little confusing to me. I'm not sure if it's even possible? Something to look into I guess, but I assumed I would need a longer focal length than 135mm for lunar imaging no?

Ah! I'm with you. You have a 135mm lens on a camera. In that case, no the mini won't,  sensibly, fit. Ideally something longer would be better. I have a 400mm with 2x extender and still have plenty of space  on the sensor. Given the price of long focal lenses, a telescope  would be less expensive, and you already have the mini    :D

• Like 1