Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron OAG DOA

You have to love when you get a new piece of equipment. You get all excited because you got that one piece to finally complete your setup to push your skills to the next level. Then you open the box and find it broken or damaged. I received a Celestron OAG today from a reputable retailer here in the US. I do not blame them at all as the unit was new in a sealed box. There's no way they could have known. But when I pulled out the OAG to inspect it, I found the prism to be loose. Not loose as in relative movement, loose as in not installed at all. Just laying inside the plastic the unit was wrapped in. Not only was it loose, but it was chipped. It is entirely possible the chips occurred during transport, but still. It's painful and heartbreaking to get something as expensive as this is from a reputable retailer and a reputable brand. I have already contacted the retailer to see what I need to do to get a replacement. I'm worried though because I have found a couple other instances of this particular model and the prism falling off. Makes me worried to use it in my telescope. It would be captured between a flattener and a filter, so it wouldn't damage my camera or my telescope, but still. It's something that just shouldn't happen at all.

20220110_174735.jpg

20220110_174743.jpg

20220110_194558.jpg

20220110_194613.jpg

• Sad 1

On 11/01/2022 at 23:11, ZS1RA said:

I had exactly the same. I purchased from telescopes.net, they arranged with Celestron and sent me a new prism. It took long though.

The retailer asked for my email and shipping address because Celestron wanted to reach out to me personally. I haven't heard anything from them yet though. I'm sure it will get fixed one way or the other. Just have to play the waiting (even longer) game.