NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Acting the goat…

Wasn’t sure exactly where to post this one but as it’s a fairly wide field image with no “proper” deep sky objects in it I thought I would post it here. Near Capella lies a neat little elongated triangle of stars easily visible to the unaided eye. The two stars which mark the bottom of the triangle are Haedus I and Haedus II meaning “goat kids” in Latin. These two stars are commonly known as The Kids and they are bottom right in this image. They show a lovely colour contrast which was the main driver for taking this image. The triangle is completed by the star Al Anz or Almaaz which means “He-goat” and is shown top left of frame. The She-goat in this celestial goaty family is represented by nearby Capella which is sadly out of frame. 37 x 30 seconds with a TS71SDQ refractor and ASI 071 camera. 

22517791-7C3D-477F-81D4-34766ADEDC29.jpeg

• Like 6

That's gorgeous  Graham!  Isn't it funny how many amateurs look straight past the stars in their search for a fuzzy patch at the limit of visibility and miss all the breathtaking beauty of rich star fields. Of course stars are in fact deep sky objects well worth our attention. Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

• Like 2