NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which micro fibre cloth today ?

A long time ago (a decade ?) I bought the Baader Microfibre cloth with their Wonder Fluid.

The cloth has done excellent service for me and has been washed (carefully) quite a few times now and I'm thinking that a replacement might be due.

I see that FLO stock the Calotherm micro fibre cloths in 3 sizes now as well as still carrying the Baader one. They describe the Calotherm as probably the best microfibre cloth available.

Does anyone know how these two cloths compare in practical use ?

I'd happily buy a new Baader cloth to replace the old one but wonder if the Calotherm (which is new to me) might be an even better option.

Edited by John

Hi John,

I've used the Calocloth along with solvent free Calo spray for quite a few years for cleaning my FC lens and eyepieces.  I find them both excellent. I bought mine from my local optician, but they aren't only for spectacles, as on the info they are mainly used for expensive camera lenses etc. I spray onto the cloth, not the lens so as not to get the fluid spray between the elements.

59218cbb35fef_2017-05-2113_52_19.jpg.78d0111fc48dabe4e4b8da26f97c783e.thumb.jpg.c13ed4c7ddb95c3ffdc020a1e8a6c4d3.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi John,

I've used the Calocloth along with solvent free Calo spray for quite a few years for cleaning my FC lens and eyepieces.  I find them both excellent. I bought mine from my local optician, but they aren't only for spectacles, as on the info they are mainly used for expensive camera lenses etc. I spray onto the cloth, not the lens so as not to get the fluid spray between the elements.

Thanks Mike.

The "spray on the cloth" method is the one I use as well, for the same reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:
1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi John,

59218cbb35fef_2017-05-2113_52_19.jpg.78d0111fc48dabe4e4b8da26f97c783e.thumb.jpg.c13ed4c7ddb95c3ffdc020a1e8a6c4d3.jpg

Mike, does it clean your lens OK when you have been  licking it?  🤣

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Mike, does it clean your lens OK when you have been  licking it?  🤣

I'll let you know Paul, after you've brought your refractor round for cleaning. I now have a secret weapon against lens grime. All I need to do is sprinkle gravy granules on your objective and Rhubarb my sweet, delicate little bull terrier will do the rest.

IMG_20211124_140858.thumb.jpg.4ce03a93dcffa5dbc7a047ad86d831ca.jpg

• Haha 2

I've tried a bunch of microfiber cloths over the past 30 years and have come to prefer the Photo Clear ones in the 7"x7" size.  They're plusher than most MF lens cloths, have a serged edge to prevent fraying, and come in a handy plastic pouch to keep them clean while stored.  I have no idea if they're available in the UK, though.

• Thanks 1