Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

astronony book(s) for a 9 year old ?

tinvek

anyone any suggestions for astro books for my 9 year old son?, turn left looks a bit heavy for him starting out and i'd like to find something that will show him a few constelations and give him some info on space, the planets etc

you could try "The Stars (a new way to see them) " by H.A.Rey (ISBN 0-395-24830-2)

Heres a link to it on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stars-New-Way-See-Them/dp/0395248302

it has a great knack with its visuals and text of making the constellations look like what they are supposed to represent.

it is also a great astronomy book in its own right and should be well within the capabilities of an interested 9 year old ( I had one of them myself three years ago, sadly he has turned into a 12 year old expert on everything :lol::blob8: )

This one also gets good reviews for http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walk-Through-Heavens-Constellations-Legends/dp/0521544157/ref=pd_sim_b_5

The first reviewer says that he bough it for his sons 8th birthday and it fitted the bill perfectly.

Dorling-Kindersley usually have very well produced books aimed at that age group, and I've no doubt that they have an astronomy title that would suit. In my experience their titles have very high production values and are beautifully illustrated.

Cheers, Bob.

I use the "The Sky Observers Guide" by Mayall and Mayall for the younger kids. Very well written and illustrated... not to heavy not to lite.

Although out of print, Readily available on Amazon, Alibris, Abe Books for about $2

totally by chance i just found my copy of the observers book of astronomy which according to what i wrote on the inside cover i was given on 1/11/71 which was my 8th birthday :lol:

and no, he's not getting his hands on it !!

Archived