NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any issues when using a large mount with a smaller telescope?

I am contemplating buying an EQ6-R Pro mount, but initially I am likely to be using it with a smaller telescope. 

I can see that cost and weight go up, but would my planning for a possible future bigger scope load be a disaster when using it with a lighter load when it comes to tracking accuracy etc?  

Edited by Roog

Nope, especially not if you are considering photography. I may as well say it before someone else does but you can never have too much mount 🙂

Edit, I will add if you're planning on carrying it up a mountain or something then maybe you won't want the biggest you can get....

Edited by scotty38
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, drjolo said:

Not really, I have used EQ6-R with telephoto lens and Canon 550D several times, like this 40x3 minutes:

spacer.png

However for such light load even single 5kg counterweight may be too much. 

Would that lead to balance issues? But then again if the scope is so light as to be unbalanceable i doubt the mount cares since its so light.

I do not remember now for sure, but I think for this telephoto lens I did not use any counterweight at all. The mount was a little overweighted to the telephoto size, but that did not make much difference to EQ6-R sized mount. 

I had a 102 mm APO on a Mesu 200 when I first started out, my only problem was finding a counter weight light enough to balance it.

It was also a pain lugging the mount around to set up and takedown each time, but I knew at some point I would get a permanent observatory and go large on the scope set up.

Many thanks for your responses, I did wonder if there might be a sweet spot keeping every thing in proportion, bigger motor more torque with matching load to balance it out.

happy to hear that big is beautiful, even if it is a lump to lug about.