NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet Leonard with animation 8th December 2021

Got up this morning after Storm Barra had passed to get some great views of Comet Leonard. It was still pretty breezy, but got some good results. The comet now moving pretty fast and heading into dawn.

These are some captures with a Canon 6d at 1600 ISO, Newtonian 200mm f/5. I love the bright green head and orangey tail.

6 x 2 minute exposures, Stacked in DeepSkyStacker, aligned with comet

51732943081_0a18ebd5eb_h.jpg

6 x 2 minute exposures, Stacked in DeepSkyStacker, aligned with comet and stars. This is the first time in all my years that I've managed to get DSS to successfully stack on the comet AND stars. Unfortunately, I don't know what I did right so probably wont be able to repeat the trick!

51733179948_c717e092ab_h.jpg

Here's an animation of it as it headed into the sunrise. 24 x 2 minute exposures. One centred on the stars, the other centred on the comet

51733832140_8f650284b2_o.gif

51733592529_da368a4d00_o.gif

• Like 29

Great images Luke, I especially like the animations :hello2:

How do manage to get the animations into your posts ?

Are they gifs or avis , when I try to attach files I just end up with a download link or a 'Unknown server error 200' :icon_scratch:

Cheers Den

1 hour ago, Debo said:

Great images Luke, I especially like the animations :hello2:

How do manage to get the animations into your posts ?

Are they gifs or avis , when I try to attach files I just end up with a download link or a 'Unknown server error 200' :icon_scratch:

Cheers Den

Thanks!

They are gifs which I make in Photoshop, then upload them to my Flickr Photostream, then copy and paste the link into my post.

• Thanks 1