Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question regarding an EQ2 mount from a newbie

Just bought myself a Skywatcher Explorer 130pm and I have a question about the EQ2 mount: Next to the RA settings is a metal round thing with a long bit pointing up (between the RA dial and the clock drive). I have no idea what this is or what it does, and it's really loose. Any ideas?

Sorry I can't give a better explanation of what it looks like but hey I'm a newbie!!:lol:

Thanks in advance!

Hello "Stars in their eyes!"

I've owned the Skywatcher 130PM, and I think the bit you mention is the "clutch" which you pull or push on the lever to disengage the clock drive, which will then allow you to use the hand operated controls to move the scope, to centre an object and then re-engage the motor drive by moving the clutch. The motor housing should have a "spring" attached to it, and attached the telescope body. This spring allows the motor to be actively pulled onto the cogs of the RA drive.

No doubt you will have others who will give advice on this.

I would have thought it might show you the clock drive and clutch in the instruction manual which should have come with the scope?

Regards,

philsail1

Hi Philsail1,

Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds like the answer to my query! I have looked through the instruction manual several times but could not find any reference to this at all. You have saved me many hours trawling the internet for an answer!!! Thanks again!

Aye, that looks like the set up "Astrobaby!"

That should now fully clarify the situation for "Stars in their eyes!"

Incidently, when I had my 130PM, that thin long spring was the only "iffy" bit I was a bit dissapointed with - it didn't seem to have a very good attachment point on the scope for it to maintain a nice clean and straight pull on the motor.

Regards,

philsail1

I always thought the motor was a bit 'Heath Robinson' myself but it seemed to work fine in actual use and to be fair the combination of the mount and the scope was not much short of amazing for the price Sky-Watcher were charging.

Great views - its weird - as soon as I upgraded the weather turned cloudy and its been that way ever since.

Thanks Astro_Baby. That's it! In fact, it was reading your review of the Skywatcher Explorer 130pm that made me go ahead and buy it. Your review was so thorough and informative it made essential reading when I was considering getting a new telescope. I was given an inexpensive 800mm x 80mm for Christmas which got me interested but it soon bcame clear that I needed something a bit bigger and your review was so helpful.

Hi Astro Baby and/or PhilSail1, not sure if I should start a new thread or not but I have another quick question that I would appreciate your expert advice. I'm new to using an EQ2 mount after using an ALT/Azimuth, and I wondered if I am using it correctly in so much as when I have located an object to view I am finding that because of the angle that the scope might be, I have to rotate the telescope tube within the "O" rings in order to look through the eyepeice?

Leave the rings loose enough that you can rotate the scope, but tight enough to keep the scope from slipping downward when the scope is at a high angle.

I put a hand on the tube next to the tube ring when I am rotating the scope, so I can feel if it is trying to slide up or down.

Come people put a nylon strap around the tube next to the tube ring, so they can see if the tube is slipping.

Yes I've just upgraded to a Skywatcher 150 from a 130 and feel like I'm learning to use an EQ all over again - just been out and almost ended up on my knees underneath the dam thing - can't imagine what the neighbours would think if they could see me in such weird positions :lol:

Its every bit as bad with a longish refractor believe me - when your looking at the zenith your usually crouched down and bashing your head on the tripod legs.

If you want comfy observing get an SCT or a Mak :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Stars in Their Eyes, dude you're basically asking all the questions i have, as i managed my first 'real' nights observing with my brand new 130pm on saturday, and am about to have a go with the motor drive, if i can pluck up the courage to plug it in. well so long as the sky clears up...

Archived