Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Open Cluster M39

Allinthehead

Hi All,

Another quick image from last week. M39 in the constellation Cygnus, centered about 1000 light years from Earth.

120 * 60 second subs with the Asi2600mc through a Takahashi Epsilon 160

Captured with SgPro, processed in APP, PI and PS.

Richard.

Final.thumb.jpg.84eff7170aa5946d38393b991958d5ab.jpg

Final.thumb.jpg.82fb338194afb6e24451ade0d827ec10.jpg

Edited by Allinthehead
Changed colour balance
  • Like 15

That's a lot of stars in one picture. Almost tempted to test if DSS has a stroke trying to count the stars with 5% detection threshold 😃.

Curious black spots on an otherwise very busy image, dust lanes and molecular clouds in the plane of the milky way i assume?

That’s a delight Richard!

I’d perhaps (as per the first post), just temper the background stars a tad to lift /separate the foreground cluster… then an anti-clockwise 90 degree rotation, crop down a bit onto said cluster… and bingo, you have a perfect ‘Christmas Tree’ shape to make your own festive cards!

But forgetting the Christmas card idea, a super shot, lovely flat field and great colours….

D

9 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Love the detail but hope you don't mind constructive criticism, to me it looks a little over exposed and the colour isn't quite right to my eyes. 

I don't mind at all, this image was taken with a big bright moon so colour balance is an issue, also very little background there to properly balance. I've added another version above.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Curious black spots on an otherwise very busy image, dust lanes and molecular clouds in the plane of the milky way i assume?

I would imagine yes, dust between us and the stars.

25 minutes ago, TakMan said:

That’s a delight Richard!

I’d perhaps (as per the first post), just temper the background stars a tad to lift /separate the foreground cluster… then an anti-clockwise 90 degree rotation, crop down a bit onto said cluster… and bingo, you have a perfect ‘Christmas Tree’ shape to make your own festive cards!

But forgetting the Christmas card idea, a super shot, lovely flat field and great colours….

D

Thanks, I spotted that Christmas tree too👍

• Like 1