Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OK here goes...

I brought a telescope and i didnt have a clue, So i read into it more and realised its best to start with binoculars.

So now I have brought high powered binoculars and i dont no where to start how do i no what to look for each night? what can i see with 20-108 zoom binoculars.

Thankyou

Hi, and welcome. Those sound like some pretty potent binoculars. What's the objective aperture ? It'll be something like 20-108x50. You can see a lot with Binoculars. I posted a challenge list in the Observing with Binos forums, listing targets as easy etc. Also, get hold of a copy of stellarium (free PC software) that'll help you locate things.

Probably one of the best sights (IMHO) in Binoculars is M45 - The Pleaides. From Orion, follow the line of the belt, towards the south, go past a triangle pointing to the right (The hyades in Taurus), you'll come to a bright little patch of 5 or 6 stars (viewed unaided). Have a look there with the Bino's.

What telescope did you buy as well ? It would be worth getting hold of a copy or Turn Left at Orion, a guide to finding objects, how hard they are to see etc.

Nope, it changes on a daily basis as the earth rotates... What Stellarium will show is the sky at a certain time (it's based on your PC clock at statup, but you can move forward an hour to get an idea, and you can use that as a guide. It's how I started out. The hardest part, I found is taking what I could see on the screen, and translating it into what I could see in the sky. It's also worth spending a little while familiarising yourself with the constellations, a planisphere will really help with that, then when someone says to look in Auriga say (there's several lovely Bino targets there), you can find it a lot more easily.

I'd leave the Bino zoom at 20, anymore than that on the wide stuff, like M45 is going to get in too close and you'll miss out. Have a go at the Pleiades and you'll see what I mean.

I believe that John means follow Orions belt up to the right and north - south would take you down to Sirius, the dog star - still a pretty sight, but not quite M45!

:lol:... Oops.... Sorry Mitchell... go up and right... I'm getting my bearings the wrong way around. Thanks TheThing ...

ok thanks il give it a go, ive always been obsessed with the night sky so ive got to start somewhere. The next clear sky im going to learn the conselations and see what i can get with the binoculars, will i evere need them zoomed in at all? because ive just forked out 90 pound for this new pair lol. any recomendations to view because my area has a lot of light polution thanks

If you intend on using the zoom you will probably need to support the binos on a tripod, as any movement (hands shaking in the cold etc) will be magnified as well. Try splitting Mizar in the plough. Turn Left At Orion is a great book and well worth the investment, highly recommended.

Archived