NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Esprit 80ED APO Triplet Questions

Hi.

I wanted to get some help on the SW Esprit 80ED.

I’ve been looking into it and found the specs for it on a few different websites are different, e.g. weight, dovetail type.

Does anyone know, is this because there’s been different models with different specs, or just because some of the websites are incorrect?

And for those who actually have these (and if there *are* multiple versions, then those who have the latest/current version), what type of dovetail does it have, and how long is the dovetail?

Thanks!

Not aware of multiple versions of the scope, just slight change in paintwork if I remember correctly. I used to have the scope and it was absolutely superb. The dovetail does let it down a bit though in my opinion.  Its fixed to the scope and only a few inches long. I used to attach a longer dovetail to the scopes built in dovetail which made it a lot easier to balance. I've heard of people removing the dovetail and adding standard rings. 

• Like 1

On 23/11/2021 at 20:56, AbsolutelyN said:

The dovetail does let it down a bit though in my opinion.  Its fixed to the scope and only a few inches long.

You don’t happen to recall if the length was greater than 100mm by any chance?

10 hours ago, Gallandro said:

You don’t happen to recall if the length was greater than 100mm by any chance?

Sorry I can't remember exact size but its not very long at all. Perhaps email First Light who can probably let you know. 

I used to attach mine to one of these - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/william-optics-dsd-210-plate.html - which gave better length for balancing in the saddle of my azeq6

• Like 1

Hi Gallandro,

My ED80 is just a few months old. The dovetail is about 125-130mm in length (the ends are not square). Including the flattener and my ADM saddle the scope weighs 5040 grams. According to the manufacturer the saddle weighs 740 grams, so that would make the scope 4300 grams.

Nicolàs

SW_Esprit80ED_dim.JPG.19e42c5fd645d09a8e103b9dfdb4d164.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, inFINNity Deck said:

The dovetail is about 125-130mm in length

Thanks for those stats, they’re super useful and cements it for me now that I’ll be looking to buy this model scope.

Really appreciate your help!

It is possible to remove the foot/dove-tail and to replace it with two scope-rings, but my first impression is that the foot is sturdy enough to avoid flexure. That image was the result of only 40 x 30s luminance, 20 x 60s R, G en B, all unguided (should at least double the amount of integration time).

Mind you that the ED80 is a fine scope, but that they do have issues. The image shown in above link was taken with my third (!) ED80. The first had pinched optics, asymmetric halos and spikes when imaging bright stars, the second had similar issues and was unable to produce a flat field (coma in two opposite corners), the third (this one) again had asymmetric halos and spike-like artefacts when imaging bright stars, but a very nice flat field. The halos and artefacts were easily solved by stopping down the scope to 79mm (making it f/5.06), which I explain in this article (open in Chrome to get it translated). Now I am very satisfied with the ED80, despite the modification.

Nicolàs

• Like 1