Stupid, stupid

cajen2

On 18/11/2021 at 17:20, Zermelo said:

My usual solvent sequence is:

water with a little washing up liquid
methylated spirits
white spirit
acetone
limonene (dipentene - sold as "sticky stuff remover")
cellulose thinners (methyl chloride)
toluene (not easy to find, and damages many surfaces)

but each tested first on an out-of-sight area, to see if it dissolves the paint too.

Limonene is often effective with sticky residues.

I never knew that limonene was the active ingredient in "Sticky Stuff Remover" , thanks for that Zermelo.  It caught my eye as I now know that limonene is a chiral molecule which was the subject of the recent Chemistry Nobel prize (David MacMillian).  My claim to fame, he came from the same village as me, we were  separated by a few years at school so a contemporary. I feel like such an underachiever now lol .  Good on you David , way to go - your story made my week when I heard your interview on the radio. 

Chemistry Nobel awarded for mirror-image molecules - BBC News

Jim 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, saac said:

It caught my eye as I now know that limonene is a chiral molecule which was the subject of the recent Chemistry Nobel prize (David MacMillian).

Yes, it has often been said that one form gives the characteristic smell to oranges, and the other form to lemons, but apparently this is untrue.

I used to do a lot of refurbishing which involved removing paper stickers people had stuck on painted steel. The best way I found of removing labels etc was heat. If you don't mind applying a bit of heat to the tube and the foam is still mostly intact it will just peel right off. Chemical dissolvers etc have their place but my 1st choice was always heat. I don't mean hair drier heat either. I mean paint stripper heat. You have to be sensible with it though.