SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Boots for winter and cold night observing?

OpusElite

On 19/11/2021 at 01:05, Stu said:

I use Arctic Muckboots after a recommendation from @PeterW. Very pleased with them. I agree about not ‘over socking’, don’t cram everything in. I use a pair of these thermal socks too. Nice and toastie.

https://muckbootcompany.co.uk/collections/men/products/mens-outpost-tall-wellington-black

326393C7-A8B2-4610-B3D2-9916CB37DDDC.jpeg

++1 for Arctic Muckboots and Heat Holder socks …. I suffer from cold extremities and this combo really works.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Having taken on board all the suggestions in this thread, I have bought snow-boots and thermal socks.

The socks are 4.7 tog Heat Control, really thick and very warm. Less than £5 from an army surplus store, but brand new.

669041955_thermalsocks(Small).jpg.246031ac1b127d12a5233519fc1039d3.jpg

In a stroke of luck I found the snow boots in a local charity shop for £3.

They are a bigger size than my feet (9.5 vs 😎 and the 'inner-boot' isn't particularly thick. However, this does allow plenty of room for the thermal socks (and blood to circulate)

362370975_Snowboots2022-01-06(Small).jpg.eada3abac89430412cd56ab800d6cdcd.jpg

With the rare clear skies last night, I had the chance to test them out in -2.4℃ conditions, whilst using my scope on my patio, which ended up like a skating rink !

After 3 hours the only issue was the top of my toes were a little cool, which I suspect was due to the thin inner-boot.

Maybe an extra pair of socks may solve this as there is plenty of room, but for less than £10 it was nice not to have feet like ice blocks!

My fingers were another story, but that would be better served with a new thread on warm gloves !! :) 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...