Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 127 Motor Focuser.

banjaxed

After fitting motor focusers to my other scopes I wondered about fitting one to my Skymax 127. The first priority was the speed as these scopes have a long focus  travel. Here are a few pics of the finished project which works perfectly with a good speed variation.

l

D42D84B3-AD6A-4EBC-8EC3-6469BE30FE07.jpeg

5A9447D2-6DF0-430E-AA9F-A26F6F08CEB3.jpeg

3F32D37C-B02E-414E-9F6F-BA143CAE09E7.jpeg

306EFD58-98CA-4ED8-959D-97B755D009C4.jpeg

6A5A4597-4F70-4241-9EC6-2EE6E65E2185.jpeg

• Like 6

A long awaited clear night gave me a chance to give my new motor focuser a try out and it was a great improvement over the manual one . I tried it out on the moon and was able to get very sharp focus without any wobble at all so I am very pleased with my upgrade. What I found most useful was the fact I could use the fastest speed to get nearly focused then slow down to reach fine focus, which IMO is a must with a Mak.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Neat, can I ask what belt drive cog are you using on the 127? 

It is a 12mm bore GT2 timing pulley which fits nicely on the focuser shaft when you  remove the plastic knob (making sure the OTA is level and not vertical) 🙄😀

Edited by banjaxed

12 hours ago, banjaxed said:

It is a 12mm bore GT2 timing pulley which fits nicely on the focuser shaft when you  remove the plastic knob (making sure the OTA is level and not vertical) 🙄😀

Ok thanks, I have been thinking on the same lines as your focuser but couldn't see a way of fitting a cog to the focus knob. My I ask what happens if the OTA is verticle?

If you remove the knob with the scope vertical everything slides down towards the front lens as the knob is the only thing that hols everything is place. I was lucky as turning the scope the other way it slid back far enough for me to retrieve the focuser shaft. When I bought the pulley they only supplied them in twos so if you decide to proceed with your project you can have the pulley for what I paid for it.

3 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Ok thanks, I have been thinking on the same lines as your focuser but couldn't see a way of fitting a cog to the focus knob. My I ask what happens if the OTA is verticle?

5 hours ago, banjaxed said:

If you remove the knob with the scope vertical everything slides down towards the front lens as the knob is the only thing that hols everything is place. I was lucky as turning the scope the other way it slid back far enough for me to retrieve the focuser shaft. When I bought the pulley they only supplied them in twos so if you decide to proceed with your project you can have the pulley for what I paid for it.

Hi and thanks, II'l keep that in mind. I have got to sort out the motor yet. I have a RC servo that was used as a focuser motor on an old scope I need to find that and measure the shaft diameter to see if I can get a cog to fit that.

1 hour ago, simmo39 said:

Hi and thanks, II'l keep that in mind. I have got to sort out the motor yet. I have a RC servo that was used as a focuser motor on an old scope I need to find that and measure the shaft diameter to see if I can get a cog to fit that.

If I can be of any help in giving you my sources for the parts you need just let me know.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, doublevodka said:

@banjaxed would it be possible for you to put a parts list on this thread? (Sorry to revive an old one)

I'm looking to put together something simple that doesn't need a computer to control, this looks like it fits the bill 👍

I have just noticed your message and I will be happy to let you have a list of parts and where I sourced them. I know I have a drive pulley that is a perfect fit for the 127 Mak which you are welcome to for what it cost me which is less than the present price. It will take me a while to look up all the suppliers and parts list but I will sort it out when quickly as I can. I might have some more parts in my box if you would be interested, but in will check anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, banjaxed said:

I have just noticed your message and I will be happy to let you have a list of parts and where I sourced them. I know I have a drive pulley that is a perfect fit for the 127 Mak which you are welcome to for what it cost me which is less than the present price. It will take me a while to look up all the suppliers and parts list but I will sort it out when quickly as I can. I might have some more parts in my box if you would be interested, but in will check anyway.

That's a lovely offer thank you 👍 sadly I don't think the pulley will work with either of my current scopes focusers

However, if you can let me know the motor and controller I'm sure I can knock the rest together easy enough 🤞

On 13/04/2022 at 12:51, doublevodka said:

@banjaxed would it be possible for you to put a parts list on this thread? (Sorry to revive an old one)

I'm looking to put together something simple that doesn't need a computer to control, this looks like it fits the bill 👍

This is the motor I used from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YRPVW59/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the controller I used from Ebay

https://www.technobotsonline.com/ are one of the sources for drive belts, drive pulleys and bits and bobs.

If you need any further info just ask.

Edited by banjaxed
  • Thanks 1