Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda M31

alan potts

I always find this a bit difficult to process with regards the core which can so easily dominate to the shot. This is just over 7 hours of data which was taken over a few nights two years apart, not all images lined up but I feel it is near enough with only the very bottom right edge still showing that I can see. This is a blend of 3 and 4 minute exposures with calibration frames and dithered.

I have masked the core three times in the stretches in an effort to show some inner detail, not sure if this has been done well of is a mess, I look to you experts to advise.

Taken at 800mm with an APO and a Zwo 071 OSC.

287706325_Autosave003copy.thumb.jpg.abc1d2ede8ed6f3aaca21102285174a6.jpg

Please feel free to offer advice on any aspect.

Alan

• Like 25

No expert, but ....... I like this Alan, especially the subtle appearance of dust lanes in the galaxy below M31. 👏 and a non blown out core of Andromeda.

It does look like one of your layers may have rotated slightly though as there is definite darkening of the blacks at bottom right and top right.

Edited by Nugs

3 hours ago, Nugs said:

No expert, but ....... I like this Alan, especially the subtle appearance of dust lanes in the galaxy below M31. 👏 and a non blown out core of Andromeda.

It does look like one of your layers may have rotated slightly though as there is definite darkening of the blacks at bottom right and top right.

Yes it was rather fanned out like a pack of cards and I knew about the corner, I think the rest is removed. Shame really as I lost a bit of the outer arms but I feel on the whole the data is decent. Still time for me to add to it but the Moon is getting a bit big now.

Alan

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MartinB said:

This is a great image Alan.  I like the way you have managed the core

Thanks Martin, I had 3 goes at the core expanding it a little each time, it's so easy to mess up and even though I am happy with my result I am sure some could do it even better.

Alan