Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Dark Side beckons...

But it's ok that I like though, right?  Or do I now get banned from SGL?! 🤣

I have no problem with composite images for their artistic merit.  However the old-skool visual astronomer in me definitely prefers that the composite reflects accurately the alignment etc.  I'm not a fan of focal length blends typically, but I do love, for example, a blue-hour foreground blended with a tracked night sky.  So long as the photographer / artist isn't pretending it to be anything that it isn't. I really don't mind either way.

My recent foray into deepscapes has made me think a lot harder about all this.  I struggled with it for a while, but my compromise is that I have to capture the actual alignment in camera (which obviously will be subject to all the technical limitations that make the scene impossible in a single shot) and then I assemble the blend later.  That way I'm able to verify that the alignment is genuine.

On the other hand, maybe I think about all this too much.

But long story short, I like your fake!!

• Like 1

@FenlandPaul  yes, the composition must reflect reality, alignment and scale.  Fortunately, my phone fl is effectively 28mm, great for daylight exploration of 24mm based nightscapes.  Saw an image with the moon in Eridanus the other day  :)  Also, say what you have done.

Too late this season to get this setup for real however, Orion should fit nicely.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

@FenlandPaul  yes, the composition must reflect reality, alignment and scale.  Fortunately, my phone fl is effectively 28mm, great for daylight exploration of 24mm based nightscapes.  Saw an image with the moon in Eridanus the other day  :)  Also, say what you have done.

Too late this season to get this setup for real however, Orion should fit nicely.

Cheers

Paul

Still waiting for the “Big Dipper Blood Moon” alignment. 🤣

• Haha 1

For me there are two different considerations, both of which are valid:

-The image is a snapshot in time, and

-What is the image trying to convey to the viewer?

The first one demands accuracy to represent what happened. the second is more of a feeling, emotional response in the viewer. How did it feel to be there on that evening? That is where editing, tweaking, photoshopping out some elements can be useful.

It's when someone strays too far from either does an image get totally overblown and not believable, or not representative. I've seen a few.

• Like 2