NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn and Venus EP Projection

Imahumanbeing

I got an Orion Variable Projection Camera Adaptor for eyepiece projection because of the coma I get doing prime focus. The Orion adaptor works really well and you can increase the magnification by moving the camera away from the eyepiece but it is heavy on the mount. I had some clear skies and managed to get some of Saturn and Venus. I didn't spend long on focusing as I wanted to get the Comet, which I didn't get because clouds came, but these are the best pictures of these 2 planets I've got yet. Definitely better than doing Afocal with my Samsung digital camera. A big thanks to John (jgs001) for putting up with all my questions and for all the great advice, cheers John.

Taken with a Canon 1000D, EP Projection with a 25mm eyepiece on a Nexstar 114 SLT GT

IMG_Saturn10001.jpg

IMG_Venus10001.jpg

Jamie

post-15495-133877357879_thumb.jpg

post-15495-133877357884_thumb.jpg

This is exactly how I started out :lol:

Might I suggest the 10mm EP instead if the 25mm, that will increase the image scale.

But to be honest with a Dslr I think your results are pretty good. Venus looks nicely exposed and focused - although focusing on venus is hard to say the least!

Saturn again could do with a larger image scale and I beleive the focus a little soft - apart from that cracking start.

Try the moon, the moon is much easier to practise on.

You need to get as many images as you can, which is quite hard with a dSLR, have you tought about a cheap webcam?

Cheers

ant

Thanks alot Ant.

I will be trying with my 9mm next, hopefully tonight, but I didn't try last night as it was the first time using the Orion adaptor and I wanted to get the comet. I did get some of the moon but the focus wasn't 100% and you can see that at one end of the image it is quite well focused but then it gets more blurry at the other end of the image. I need to get a good eyepiece for EP projection!

Getting a webcam would be lighter on my mount, I wanted a DSLR first so I could use it for normal photography as well. Thats a good idea! Something to think about.

Thanks

Jamie

Well done Jamie, they're both really good, it's very clear exactly what you have shot.. EP projection isn't the easiest, and as Ant says, getting image scale with an SLR is a toughie, not impossible, but you have to work damn hard to do it.

Two very decent images Jamie. They may be small, but they're pretty. Your scope is around f9 is it not? Maybe try a Barlow projection if you have one. A 2x takes it to f18.

As Ant. said, for planetary work, there is a lot to be said for the humble webcam. Some terrific imaging been accomplished by some on SGL using a webcam.

Ron.:lol:

Archived