Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dirty Objective

To my surprise when looking at my objective in the sunlight I noticed an unsightly amount of dust and what looked like a few spots of lens mould so I decided to give it a clean. Such a satisfying felling when it turns out right, I have always been weary of cleaning lenses as I can be obsessive but with the right tools it’s a breeze.

C4D259BD-D828-45BE-BEA8-A7845F901AFB.jpeg

F74F2FA7-D045-4934-BD95-61E4D01EBB95.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

To my surprise when looking at my objective in the sunlight I noticed an unsightly amount of dust and what looked like a few spots of lens mould so I decided to give it a clean. Such a satisfying felling when it turns out right, I have always been weary of cleaning lenses as I can be obsessive but with the right tools it’s a breeze.

C4D259BD-D828-45BE-BEA8-A7845F901AFB.jpeg

I worry about doing a achro from china. What process did you use ? good job

11 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Nerves of steel 

Don’t be apprehensive about it, you can’t do worse than it is unless you’re wiping your lens with a slice of pizza 🤣 a bit of patience goes a long way, coatings don’t just peel off, I suppose we’re all a bit weary of cleaning lenses. What gets me is the couple of dust particles between the lenses but I’m NOT!!! about to start unscrewing the lens cell (would end in my crying in the fetal position) as they don’t affect the image at all.

Edited by Sunshine

2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Don’t be apprehensive about it, you can’t do worse than it is unless you’re wiping your lens with a slice of pizza 🤣 a bit of patience goes a long way, coatings don’t just peel off, I suppose we’re all a bit weary of cleaning lenses.

I attract that solitary peice of grit. Others wouldnt be unlucky enough to bump into. Should see my sleek on my Orion optics 245mm 1/10th mirror ouch

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

I attract that solitary peice of grit. Others wouldnt be unlucky enough to bump into. Should see my sleek on my Orion optics 245mm 1/10th mirror ouch

One thing I have learned about cleaning telescopes, once the final wipe is done, cover it and LOOK AWAY! because if I keep looking at it I'll find more petty reasons to wipe it again, and again.

just look away, my friend.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

One thing I have learned about cleaning telescopes, once the final wipe is done, cover it and LOOK AWAY! because if I keep looking at it I'll find more petty reasons to wipe it again, and again.

just look away, my friend.

Optics talk to us encouraging more bravery. When it all goes wrong we say i told you i should stopped 5 mins ago. You never listen do you. Just never listen

• Haha 1