NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IFN between NGC3403 and NGC3147 in Draco

gorann

I continue using the Star Xterminator filter in PS to get better control of my star fields, which is particularly needed for the very faint Integrated Flux Nebulae (IFN). So here is a reprocessing of data I gathered in April 2021, now with much brighter nebulosity and a better controlled star field than in my previous attempt.

IFN (Integrated Flux Nebulosity) is thought to be dust at the outskirts of our galaxy energized by the collective radiation of the galaxy. I do find that there seem to be a variety of IFN when it comes to colour and structure. There is also an abundnce of galaxies behind the IFN, NGC 3147 and 3348 being the most prominent.

Hunting IFN is a very rewarding activity under dark skies, and I have a quite dark site. SQM was around 21.6 these nights, so Bortle 2. Sadly, at a site with more light pollution, many times longer integration times will be needed get an S/N ratio good enough to get a decent IFN image. For every unit decrease in SQM, 2.5 times more integration time is needed.

Gathered with a RASA8 and ASI2600MC (gain 100, offset 30, -15°C),  68 x 5 min subs. Processed in PI and PS.

Cheers, Göran

00MfxuFTKngv_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

Skärmavbild 2021-11-04 kl. 11.19.57.png

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Grant93 said:

The sheer amount of galaxys in this is mind boggling, the more you look the more you see!

Yes, quite a few relatively large NGC galaxies, but even more that are only in the PGC or UGC catalogues. I will do a proper annotation in PI soon. The one posted now is only the one automatically made in Astrobin.

2 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

That's really nice Göran - and yet another target I'm unfamiliar with!

But I don't think I'll be putting it on my list.... it looks too challenging for my site and kit... .and abilities!

Thanks a lot Tom! One day.....

Another amazing image. It makes me wonder if any patch of sky would reveal objects of interest if you have the right kit and conditions, but of course the Hubble Deep Field has answered that one.

Even so, your RASA/2600 set up is doing a fine job  even without the HST’s advantages.