NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Grab'n'Go - with attitude (aperture)

Hi all,

Trouble with owning a 120mm ED refractor is you come to expect to see a lot of detail when observing, which is why I've now converted my 127 Maksutov to be my Grab'n'Go scope. Here it is on my modified and tuned AZ-3 mount. Please excuse the clunky-looking counterweight - I'm still trying to find a nice 4lb one that Skywatcher used to make.

Oh, and as for wide field, my 16mm Nagler gives me 88x and nearly a full degree, and my LVW 22 gives 68x and about the same field of view, so about one degree is as much as I can manage. Good job I still have the ED80 for when I want to have a quick look at M45 or M31!

post-14001-13387735778_thumb.jpg

post-14001-133877357791_thumb.jpg

Thats a really nice setup !.

I tried a Celestron C5 on my AZ-3 mount for a while and it worked suprisingly well.

How much cool down time do you find the 127mm Make needs ?.

John

Thanks!

Dew problem? Not with the dew shield on it - no problem at all. Without it, yes.

About an hour cool down time is required. Depends on conditions, but that usually does it ok.

As for counterweight snobbery... I think I may have invented it! :lol:

Archived