Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strange

mrdiki

Hi, I live in Birmingham, England. For the last few nights there has been a very faint star like object to the south west of Jupiter as I view it. I know it's not Saturn or any of the Galilean moons but it can't be a star as it is moving in sync with Jupiter during the evening. Could it be a comet or a geostationary satellite. Please don't giggle I'm extremely novice as an astronomer. 

Deneb is high in the sky, like overhead high! Sure your object isn't Fomalhaut, low to the left of Jupiter? It would seem to follow Jupiter as it rises and traverses the southern sky. 

It's worth noting that all the stars and planets travel across the sky in sync with each other. They all rise in the east and set in the west in general terms. The motion of the planets is very small per night relative to the stars. So as the stars rise each night any planets you see will move with them. Over days or weeks you might notice the planets do move against the starry sky as they orbit the Sun. 

• Like 1

Oh - and that's South-East of Jupiter. not South-West - celestially speaking.

Stars/planets move East -> West. As you look towards the southerly horizon, that means West is to the right. If you are observing with a non-tracking telescope, the drift of the stars will indicate West. It can get a bit confusing, especially when looking straight up!

And North is the direction towards Polaris (the celestial pole). So it you are looking at the northerly horizon, North is up! (and West to the right, still)

Took me a while to get my head around that!

And don't ask about East/West of the planets compared to the moon! ! It's different!! 🙄

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Franklin said:

Think you've confused yourself there. When I look North, West is on my left usually. 😀

Ah - perhaps I should have said celestially speaking. Yes, the terrestrial cardinal point 'west' would be to your left- but the stars are still moving to your right, which defines the celestial westerly direction.

image.png.6826213c990cf29e0f6205da6f4bc5a6.png

Still facing north, but above the north celestial pole, then it reverses:

image.png.0fe5fe50814f838d14b7201f7e2e1db1.png

North faces the north celestial pole and West is the direction the stars move. Celestially speaking.