Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why do I not do this more often

Marvin Jenkins

Just come in from a clear sky with an amazing milky way and realised I am typing this with my red light head torch still on!
At first the idea was to do something different and look at some double stars, which I never normally do (there is a thread on here somewhere about that). 
I decided to use my original kit, five inch Orion newt on an EQ2😩 the OTA is fine, the tripod is fine the bit in between is like jelly but I gave it a go.

Polaris needed some magnification 80x ish and the second component was very faint. I made things easier and observed Mizar in Ursa Major. Now I don’t know if this happens to you but I seem to be bombarded by WhatsApp messages when I am observing? I have my phone for the apps but how do people know I am looking at the night sky, right now?

Jupiter was calling over my right shoulder and it would be rude not to. Two moons in pairs close together either side of the giant and the odd glimpse of the GRS.

M31 and M110…. Or M32 which is the galaxy companion far off to one side of the Great Andromeda Spiral? Down a bit to Triangulum and I was amazed how easy M33 was to find, nearly poked my eye out through the spotter scope.

Just to get back on track with the doubles I moved over to Lyra. No double double splitting obviously but a great star hop and the PN Ring Nebula. I really should use my beginners kit more often.

Marvin

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Nice one Marvin. I find I can have fun with a wide range of kit, it doesn’t have to be high end. If I fancy a challenge I get my 65mm TAL Alkor out and see what I can see. In its way it’s just as challenging as using larger kit to see harder targets.

Good to get out with your ‘beginners’ kit again, should have had a crack at the Double Double, it should do it, no?

M110 is the further of the two galaxies near M31, M32 is the close in one that looks almost stellar at lower power.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Stu said:

Nice one Marvin. I find I can have fun with a wide range of kit, it doesn’t have to be high end. If I fancy a challenge I get my 65mm TAL Alkor out and see what I can see. In its way it’s just as challenging as using larger kit to see harder targets.

Good to get out with your ‘beginners’ kit again, should have had a crack at the Double Double, it should do it, no?

M110 is the further of the two galaxies near M31, M32 is the close in one that looks almost stellar at lower power.

Your comment about doing the double double got me fired up , thank you. 
I thought there is no way I can split that pair again and realized I was observing Beta Lyrae!!!!! Not Epsilon🤣

I am out again tonight, more exclamation marks, this weather is about to change for the worst. The double double is the only thing on the menu of my five inch newt and my eq2 re named “bobble head”.

Easy split of the initial double (right one this time) but up to 100x and there is so much turbulence. I have stuck at it for what feels like an age and suddenly two pairs for two seconds, not even really separate from each other. More like a slight over lap.

literally danced a stupid jig disco combo across the garden. Time to grow up and calm down or my wife might wonder what I am up to out there.🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 2