Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dobsonian Vinyl Record Modification…

My 12” Revelation Dob has a lot of “Stiction” and is quite jerky to move, especially at the zenith. I’ve heard about the LP record mod but not sure about where the vinyl records go. The base has the Lazy Susan roller bearing type of movement and just wondering about the position of them in relation to the roller bearings. I’ve managed to get a couple from the charity shop for a pound and ironically one was made for it 😆

Any help appreciated!  😊

D7B5FC02-DF4A-46F6-8BF9-9E33A64A19E4.jpeg

hi tony, i went the other way. i built a dob mount for my 200p. started with 1 record then 2. i still wasnt happy so went for the lazy susan which i find works fine. have you tried lubricating the lazy susan bearing. what diameter is the lazy susan bearing.

Hi apaulo 

Thanks for your reply.

The lazy Susan is approx 12” in diameter.

You know, I’ve sprayed the base boards with silicone spray but didn’t think to spray the bearings. Doh! Will give that a try now. 👍

The scope moves really well normally. It’s only approaching the zenith when it becomes sticky and annoying

I have a white textured plastic wall board on the ground board of my Dob with large rectangular teflon pads riding on it for the azimuth bearing.  The white board looks similar to below:

spacer.png

The large teflon pads smooth out the roughness, and the bumpy surface greatly reduces friction over a gloss surface.  The result is that I've had a maintenance-free azimuth bearing for the last 23 years that never sticks but still holds its position well.

• Thanks 1

Quick update for anyone with a Dobsonian who may have the same jerky "sticktion" problem from the base, while looking at the zenith

The vinyl LP mod worked brilliantly. It rotates perfectly now, even looking straight above.

The LP was placed beneath all the Lazy Susan bearings and just needed a bigger hole drilled out from the centre of it

Worth a go for the cheap cost of it

PS... I can confirm it works very well with any Swiss Mountain Music LP  😆  

thumbnail_IMG_4741.jpg

11 minutes ago, tony4563 said:

PS... I can confirm it works very well with any Swiss Mountain Music LP  😆  

I bet that is pretty easy to put together too.

You might say it was a doddle eh i deee.

I thank you. I thank you

gaj

• Like 1