NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bresser AR127

It has been reduced in price already.

I will be paying fuel costs for him to bring it so he's not too desperate.

If you look at the package as separates, I don't think £500 is too bad, as I was going to buy a better mount anyway so the fact it's a goto is a bonus.

So is the concensus from those in the know that this is a good buy?

4 minutes ago, Franklin said:

£1k telescope outfit for £500. Looks new, so it's a good deal, as long as the goto all works and the optics haven't been coloured in with felt-tip pen by some toddler!😄

Don't see the tripod spreader plate in the pics?

Widefield views of star clusters will be amazing through that thing.

I asked and he just hadn't put the spreader on for the pics. It's there

Providing it's all in good order it's a good deal, 1/2 price in fact, if that's the kind of scope you're after. You already have a 130mm reflector, so the 127mm refractor is pretty similar, aperture wise. The scope and mount are a definate upgrade on the Astromaster though.

Bit dusty, you can see why they want to sell it, not used in a while  🙂 

The key points to if it's worth it are the state of the glass, and the functioning of the mount.  If like on my 102, the dew shield is fixed on the 127, it would be quite difficult to get an accidental fingerprint on the front of the objective, but there might have been deliberate cleaning  attempts . I'd ask if it's been stored with the lens cover in place , because it is recessed into the dew shield rather than overlapping it, it's hard to tell from side on pic.s

You might ask for a head-on pic of the lens to check the state of it  , but it might not be a very good photo you get back because of the dew shield shadow.

Edited by Tiny Clanger
FFS (fat finger syndrome)

5 minutes ago, bish789 said:

I'll clean it up, that's half the fun 'minting' it

You said 'I'll clean it up' , not 'I'd clean it up'  🙂 , I think you are largely decided !

The 102s is, as I said, a nice wide field 'scope , so I'm sure this will be even better at wide field with the extra 25mm aperture

11 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Bit dusty, you can see why they want to sell it, not used in a while  🙂 

The key points to if it's worth it are the state of the glass, and the functioning of the mount.  If like on my 102, the dew shield is fixed on the 127, it would be quite difficult to get an accidental fingerprint on the front of the objective, but there might have been deliberate cleaning  attempts . I'd ask if it's been stored with the lens cover in place , because it is recessed into the dew shield rather than overlapping it, it's hard to tell from side on pic.s

You might ask for a head-on pic of the lens to check the state of it  , but it might not be a very good photo you get back because of the dew shield shadow.

When he brings it I'll be checking it over well, any problems, no buy

1 minute ago, bish789 said:

When he brings it I'll be checking it over well, any problems, no buy

I think that's an advantage you have, him bringing it to  you .  If you had driven over, investing time , fuel and effort, you might be less inclined to be picky, because you had already invested those three things in the 'scope. If it's just a few £ for fuel (as long as he doesn't drive a humvee or something) you have invested, you can be more detached when you inspect it.

What was that I said on your welcome thread, about tantalising collection only bargains to be had in Scotland ? ! 🙂

Heather

I had some inquires on getting one of these from FLO the other week in terms of mounting so I think it worked about £415 for the OTA plus would need another £300-400 for either a skytee + tripod or an EQ5 and then extras like the fine focus heaxfocus upgrade / motor drives potentially so it seems like you got a good deal.

My head says I should get an 8" Dob as I already have a 90mm Frac but I keep looking a the 127S (and the 152 though I doubt I have the pennies) :D would love to know your impressions of it on various objects (doubles / planets / dso) if you decide to get it as it looks like it could be fairly handy if a bit of a beast! :) 

Edited by wibblefish