Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher scope question

Hi all,

Sorry if this question is a bit stupid. Would anyone be able to tell me the difference between these two scopes:

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=s130pm

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=SW130PSupaTrakAUTO

Why is one 130P and one 130PM? What's the difference between SupaTrak and 'R.A. Motor Drive with Hand Controller (D.C.)? Is one better than the other? Which is the better scope? I've only seen the 130P before and have been assured through another thread on this forum that it is a good quality scope to start off with, but after seeing this 130PM, I'm intrigued to know if one is better than the other.

Thanks, and again, sorry if I'm being ignorant about it all, just completely new to the experience of buying a scope!

Amanda

P.S. the mounts look really different, would one be stronger than the other, better quality etc?

Yes Glen, I've just been looking at their binos, but I have scope fever :blob8: only five weeks til my birthday - hopefully the cloud will have gone away by then...

...once the cloud does move off, I'll type another report :lol: I really enjoyed doing it the other day, and it's always nice to get positive feedback. I always find writing my observing session up is an important thawing-out ritual and is very satisfying.

Thanks for the advice GazOC, out of the two scopes, which one would you go for?

I've never used the supatrak but I'm sure either package would do the job just fine.

My own personal preference would be the 130PM as it has an equatorial mount which once you understand how you set it up (it's not the most intuitive of designs), will stand you in good stead in the long run because once you know how they work, you can buy a bigger setup (EQ5/HEQ5/EQ6 etc etc) and be able to set it up in the same way.

Tony..

Amanda, it really depends. The Supatrak is more intuitive, you operate it by pointing it left right up and down, same as the Bino's, therefore less of a learning curve. As Tony points out, learning how to use the EQ mount will stand you in good stood.

From a personal view, after using a NexStar SLT (very similar to the Supatrak) for a year, I went to a heavy EQ mount, and didn't have any real problems once I'd done the basic setup and had a play with the controls.

Hi Amanda,

i was confused as you about these two scopes when i was buying, but the scopes are exactly the same, both 5.1" diameter and both 650 mm length there is no diffeance here, the only differance is the mounts. the EQ2 is a little more complex to set up than the supatrak, i have the supatrak version and it is so easy to set up you can be up and running in 2 minutes, all you have to do is carry the scope outside, plug in the power supply, point and centre it on the pole star, lower the scope to 0 degrees horizontal, unplug the power, plug it back in again and it will track whatever you are looking at just by pressing two buttons, and it traks well, and i think that the supatrak looks better ! i know that looks aren`t everything but it helps !

Archived