NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Should I clean this? Tak FS60 lens cell

I recently picked up a Tak FS60Q. Everything looked perfect but then I noticed the lens cell looked like it’s been wiped or smudged. It’s actually not easy to see I only glimpsed it by chance when the light shone at a certain angle. 

Now there is nothing wrong with the view so I’m reluctant to touch anything. At the same time I don’t want to leave anything on the lens that might degrade over time.  LI have Zeiss lens cleaning wipes so I could try to clean if it’s necessary? What do you think?

Chris

1D7937B4-9015-489F-BA07-1F2C1B752B0B.jpeg

9319D336-3247-439F-A88D-AB1C4246BAD6.jpeg

That looks very much like someone has tried to clean that with something that was a bit coarse and it’s marked the coating…maybe a coarse tissue or rough cloth, I use those Zeiss lems cleaning wipes and find them very good, so worth a try, but I don’t think it will come off, looking at the picture, but I may well be wrong…and hope I am…👍🏼

6 minutes ago, Icesheet said:

Ok, I’ll give this a go later tonight when I have some peace and quiet to concentrate. Should I dry it off with a microfibre cloth afterwards or just let it dry? Sorry for the questions!

The point of the lens cloth, is that they are sealed and clean, so use it (BUT NOTHING ELSE) and let the lens dry naturally, it will dry in seconds as the cloths contain 99% alcohol

• Like 1

My guess would be that it's residue from using the wrong cleaner, a lens cloth that wasn't clean or that it hasn't been cleaned enough to completely remove whatever was on it. The hard coating for those fluorite lenses is apparently much harder than you would expect so it's not that easy to damage.

• Like 1

assuming you haven't done this before. Its always good to put this out there. Dont use your finger to get the lens wipe to make contact with the lens, fold the lens wipe multiple times to build up a sponge and use this and roll the edge of the sponge as you go slowly. Then get another...... another.... another use them all but never reuse them. 

• Like 1