Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Small h-alpha flare , tons of filaments and a comet like floater (double stack system)

Kitsunegari

• Kitsunegari changed the title to Small h-alpha flare , tons of filaments and a comet like floater (double stack system)

Nice catch! Can't remember seeing a floater like this before.

Suggestion: you can upload animations on SGL (and other forums running on more modern engines) as MP4 videos, this can drastically reduce file sizes compared to GIF. E.g. my animation from the other thread was 174 MiB as a GIF, and < 10 MiB as a H264-encoded video. At a bitrate preserving all details.

You can convert to videos e.g. with the free FFMPEG tool, using an invocation like this:

ffmpeg -i some_input.gif -vcodec h264 -vb 5000000 -pix_fmt yuv420p some_output.mp4

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreatAttractor said:

Nice catch! Can't remember seeing a floater like this before.

Suggestion: you can upload animations on SGL (and other forums running on more modern engines) as MP4 videos, this can drastically reduce file sizes compared to GIF. E.g. my animation from the other thread was 174 MiB as a GIF, and < 10 MiB as a H264-encoded video. At a bitrate preserving all details.

You can convert to videos e.g. with the free FFMPEG tool, using an invocation like this:

ill give it a try, but i usually have poor success with mp4 compression,  everytime i upload it to youtube it looks like garbage.   Flickr had the best non-destructive replay but the video dimensions are limited there.   Vimeo was also good.   The issue i have is that my camera records beyond 1080p but below 4k, so finding a right match is chock full of errors with automatic scaling and image ratios.