Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Erect finder scope, what's that mean?

Hi guys.

Old-timer back after some years inactive.

I'm planning on upgrading the finder scopes on my 200p flextube, and was looking through the options, and I decided to go with the telrad and a 8x50 finder scope with the 90 degree angle. The store lists two version at the same price, one with the keyword "erect" in it. What would be the difference between the two? I have searched a little and found nothing of value.

Have a great sunday.

Maybe the term "erect" refers to a single mirror diagonal, that will give you an erect image, but with reversed sides, as a mirror does. A nightmare, when you try to match such an image with a map (especially at 02.00 in the morning). What you need is a real RACI finder (right angle - correct image), as Johninderby says above, to get that naked-eye/binocular-like view you want to have. Usually it's a tad more pricey, due to the built-in Amici prism. No clue, why it's different with this store.

Stephan

• Like 2

There are 2 sorts of right angled finders , one makes the image upright (erect) but leaves it left/right reversed, just like the view through a refractor with a mirror diagonal. The second (and more expensive) right angled correct image finder (RACI) shows you the view right way up and with no left/right flip, so exactly as the eye sees . That makes it easier to use for most people. Not all advert listings make it clear which is which, if there's a photo there is a way to tell, which you can see here :

• Like 3