Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sh2-115, Sh2-116, and some shock bows

gorann

The moon is out and I have had two clear nights using the IDAS NBZ filters (Ha+Oiii dual band) on my Dual RASA rig. Here is the result of the first night.

This image was inspired by a narrowband image by Christoph Lichtblau onn Astrobin where he pointed out that these show bows (presumably from a supernova explosion) are rarely imaged although there are plenty of images of Sharpless 115 (the pinkish structure on top) and Sharpless 116 (the small round dot centrally in the image). The shock bows are the Ha emitting curved structures below the Sharpless objects, apparently catalogued as LBN380 according to the annotations by the Astrobin plate solving.

For this image I did the experiment of binning the data 2 x 2 (by debayering using Superpixel in PS). It worked out quite well I think. The moon was up so I thought such rather faint structures like these would benefit from increasing the S/N ratio by binning.

So, two RASA8 with ASI2600MC and IDAS NBZ on a Mesu200. 2 x 70 exposures of 5 minutes (gain 100), so totally 700 minutes (about 12 hours). Processed in PI and PS.

Cheers, Göran

20210924-25 ShockBows RASA1+2 PS32smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Stunning!!  You must be delighted with the twin setup.

Paul

Thanks a lot Paul! Yes, it really works quite well, so yes, very pleased😁

Cheers, Göran

Edited by gorann